Menu

Standardized Tests

Guest chazana

Guest chazana

I will be homeschooling for the first time this fall and I want to test my daughter to see exactly where she excells and where she needs improvement to make sure I create the as close to perfect cirriculum for her. And yes I realize there will be lots of trial and error, but I need to know where to start. Can anyone reccomend a reliable testing source?

Thank You.

You can get the CAT-E from Seton testing. It is quick and easy. It might be better to use placement tests from the different math curriculum companies. You can't test her with the CAT and get a result that she is at a 3rd grade level and then just buy a third grade math program. They all have different scope and sequence. She might be at level 2b for Singapore, level 3 for Saxon, and level 4 for Teaching Textbooks (just example....no idea how they all line up). For history and science you just need to pick the subject you want to cover. Ancients and biology, modern times and chemistry, or do you wamt general overviews of each subject?

For reading, pick a few books she reads and understands. Have her read out loud to you to check her fluency and pronunciation. Then plug them into the scholastic book wizard. It will tell you what level the books are (5.6, 2.4, etc). There are other reading tests, but I think this is the easiest and most helpful, you can make a list of other books at that level and a little higher amd then head to the.library, or buy them through scholastic.

Hope the helps!

Is she currently in school now? Most schools do their own standardized testing, often starting around 1st grade. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a baseline test and then see how she progresses through the years of homeschooling, but I don't think a standardized test will help you pick out curriculum.

How old is your dd?

The perfect curriculum IMO is the one that adapts to your child. It's a continuous process of adjusting since perfection is a moving target. ;)

I agree that standardized testing won't be very helpful with curric placement. Have you been reading any hs books yet? There are a number out there and Rupps book is good for considering what you need to core and making a blueprint.

The process I recommend usually goes:

1) make a clear statement of WHY you are homeschooling. Consider writing it down -- you may want to refer to it from time to time when things get tough.

2) decide on your "style" of homeschooling. Consider your personality, goals, and dd's personality. There is a whole spectrum from classical (like WTM) to unschooled with most people somewhere in-between (eclectic, meaning mix and matching)

3) consider what style of learner your dd is: visual, kinesthetic, auditory, etc. Does she like to dive into the meat of things or need glossy pages with colorful pictures to stay engaged? Is she motivated by working WITH you (in which case look for more interactive stuff) or prefer to work on something by herself (more independent programs)

4) make a list of subjects you want to teach and put them in order of importance to you.

5) now go down that list and pick your curric one at a time. With each choice, consider how it will fit with what you already have picked. As you research, it's a good idea to write down in a notebook or spreadsheet all of the OTHER programs you considered and what you liked and didn't like about them. Odds are sooner or later you will be referring back to this when either you realize a curric is incompatible with everything else or down the road just isn't working for you or dd. Having a list of "runner-ups" with your evaluations will make changes easier. If you come across programs too advanced now but interesting in a future year, jot that down too! Nothing as frustrating as trying to remember the name to "that program" that sounded so interesting last year...

6) Now you have you list. If you need to do placement, look at the scope and sequence or each level (or the table of contents) and see what your dd knows/doesn't. [ETA: some programs have placement tests, too.] It can be better to start a little easier and move through the first level faster than to start with material way to hard -- better to start off hs with success!!

When you start up, some start as they mean to go on, make their schedule, and do their whole program. I'm a fan of starting first introducing your core (3 Rs: reading, writing, math) and do them for a bit until you and dd are comfortable. If there is a "fun" subject, like history read-alouds or crafts for art, do them too. The idea is to start with guaranteed success and get used to the new arrangement. Then start adding in the grammar, lit, science, history, etc.

But, as usual, take from this what rings true and ignore the rest. ;)

Good luck!

Edited by ChandlerMom