Menu

Feedback about CHOLL

mommy24angels

I'm trying figure out what to do about History next year. We are using SL Core B w/Grade 2 readers this year and are enjoying it, but.....can I find something that will work for us and be less expensive for next year? I saw CHOLL on someone else's post and it looks really interesting! Do you use SOTW + AG and do history three times a week w/notebooking and all of that- then use the CHOLL program for your readers? How does this work? I like having everything all planned out on a schedule which is part of why CHOLL looks great to me. My ds loves to have coloring pages, maps, activities to relate to EVERYTHING we do- so I think I would need the AG to go along with SOTW :tongue_smilie:. I've also looked at History Odyssey but I want to have more readers to go along with history. Help, please!

[Normally] CHOLL is used instead of the AG. It is history and lit combined. You can use SOTW or other texts as the spine (similar to HO). The good news is it is free, so you can download it and look thru it to see if it will work for you. :)

ETA: (of course you can still use the AG coloring pages and activities to augment CHOLL, esp if you are using SOTW as the spine)

I'm the creator of CHOLL and we use the AG with SOTW. Specifically, we use the maps, coloring pages, questions, and narrations. Each lit lesson does include some background info, but that's to put the literature in context.

You are free to use it however you want! :)

Thank you so much for your input! And, for writing such a great program! I think I may end up printing out some of the Ancients program to supplement our Core B this year :001_smile:. Do you do the additional readings that are scheduled in the AG using the Usborne/Kingfisher encyclopedias? Or, only use SOTW as your history spine reading? Just curious...

Thank you so much for your input! And, for writing such a great program! I think I may end up printing out some of the Ancients program to supplement our Core B this year :001_smile:. Do you do the additional readings that are scheduled in the AG using the Usborne/Kingfisher encyclopedias? Or, only use SOTW as your history spine reading? Just curious...

You're welcome. I sometimes assign them for my older kids. My oldest is doing an intense history program, though, so she just does the literature part of CHOLL.