Menu

1st and 3rd Grade Writing

zenjenn

This is my first time posting on this forum.

My children (1st and 3rd grade) recently started writing journal entries, with the new year. I just wanted to share their writing samples and poke any experienced parents out there if their work seems comparable with other students here of these respective grade levels. I've left their errors in on purpose to demonstrate their writing, with my corrections in red. These entries are in addition to WWE, which they are each doing.

1st Grader - Halfway Through WWE1

1/6/2012

The gumball machine for the (S)squinkies is full.

<pictures of Squinkies>

1/9/2012

I played with marbls. (marbles)

<picture of a marble run track>

3rd Grader - Mildly Dyslexic - Halfway Through WWE2

1/6/12

Today Nana and Papa are leveing (leaving). In school we finished the Odyssey. Today I will be going to Girl Scouts. I can't wate (wait) to see wath (what) we will be doing. For breakfast I had a bagel sandwich with hot chocolate.

<both "chocolate" and "breakfast" were misspelled on the 1/5 entry, she copied the corrections for this entry. Certainly she copied "Odyssey" from the book cover that was in the room.>

1/9/12

Today I had a crasante (croissant) sandwith (sandwich) for breakfast. I hope we go to the library soon becase (because) I read all the library books. Yesterday I had a playdate with Ashey (Ashley) and Dafane (Daphne) and I brote (brought) Disneyland Adventures for the Kinect.

Edited by zenjenn

• 2 weeks later...

I think that this looks appropriate for journaling and is comparable to what my kids did at those ages. My goal in journaling is just to get some free flowing writing on the paper without getting bogged down with right answers etc. It seems beneficial just for them to be able to share what they are thinking and what they have been doing and just enjoy writing and communicating. I believe that it helped my kids with the flow of their writing in more formal assignments because they were used to getting their thoughts down on paper.