Menu

ugh...another "Aspie Christmas"

:grouphug::grouphug:

Although my dd has pretty severe ADHD and not Asberger's syndrome, we've btdt. My sister and bil have actually been mean to my dd when she would get out of control. Her medicine works well for a while, but it eventually wears off, and she says and does very impulsive things. We quit trying to be around sis and bil when my sister called her a bad child in front of me. I've also heard the " if you would just discipline her, she wouldn't act like that "spiel from my parents. This year, we didn't go anywhere for the holidays, and we had a very peaceful time without the extra stimulation of family.

:grouphug:

We made it through this Christmas without much difficulty (exhale), but any visit to family or friends is a walking-on-eggshells experience for us!

As to how to help families with spectrum disorders, a simple "Is there anything I can do to help?" is worth it's weight in gold. Here is an article a friend of mine wrote some years ago that might be of help. Thanks for caring! :grouphug:

http://www.iche.org/resources/article/02-01-2003/reaching-out-families-who-home-school-children-special-needs