Menu

Where to stay for a Low Country vacation?

My girlfriends and I visited the South Carolina coast two summers ago and loved it so much we want to go back this year. We stayed at the Litchfield Inn on Pawley's Island and were quite satisfied. It was a short walk to the beach and within reasonable driving distance to Charleston. While we are considering staying there again, we'd like to do a little more investigating. Somewhere between Charleston and Savannah might be an option, so we can take advantage of both cities.

Budget is definitely a consideration, and our amenity requirements are pretty low.

Thanks, y'all.

They have some reasonable places on Hilton Head Island (sorry, been a LONG time since I was there). It would definitely meet your halfway between goal.

I need to start looking at this, too. Next year is the 100th anniversary of Girl Scouts, which started in Savannah, and my mom's grandmother was from Savannah. I grew up as much in Charleston as anywhere else (5-6 years before I was 18, not all at once), so I'd love to go back there. My mom and I have talked about me coming out with my girls sometime next year. (She's up on the other end of the interstate that goes to Charleston.)

My dh, ds and I took a quick Savannah tour on our way to Orlando 4.5 years ago. We didn't have time to do much at all, but did fit in a tour of the First African Baptist Church. I'd certainly like an opportunity to do more exploring there.

There's a lot to see. I remember being fascinated by all the pirate stuff down on the wharf as a child. But there are many beautiful old churches, just walking through all the squares/parks is nice.

Hilton Head

Fripp Island

Isle of Palms

Tybee Island

Pawley's island

Kiawah island

Hunting Island State park (if you're into camping or cabins)

I've lived in SC my entire life and all these places are great! Fripp is most expensive but an absolute must see and the absolute best family non commercialized vacation you'll ever take!