Menu

Suggestions for painting activity for 9-11 yr olds?

MelanieM

I have volunteered to lead a painting activity with my daughter's Girl Guide troop, and I'm looking for suggestions for easy painting styles/techniques that will yield impressive (to the girls) results. I would also like to bring in a little bit of an art history lesson while we're at it, so a style related to a famous artist would be great. A famous female artist would be even better.

The activity is intended to help them learn about colour, so I have considered talking about Picasso's blue period and having them mix various shades of one colour for their painting.

The other option I was thinking of is a folk art style, which I think would be fun. In that case, we could talk about Maud Lewis, who is a famous local artist.

I think the girls would have fun with either of these, but figured I'd ask for other suggestions here as I'm sure there are lots of other great ideas out there that I'm as yet unaware of. Any thoughts?

That's a good idea Lisa, thanks. I don't think I'll be able to pull that entire activity off this coming week, but I'll be going back in the new year to continue the art production badge with them, so that might be a good extended project to do. But if I can't swing that, I'll definitely have to do it as a follow up with my own kids! :D