Menu

If anyone is looking for info on Sensory Diets for their child with ASD (book rec.)

rafiki

Now you know you had me looking at this :)! I just bought The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun recently and also 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching & Raising Children with Autism or Asperger's (this also has a section on Sensory Integration). It would be great if my library carried it :(! It is kinda pricey to get it just for the diet section, since I already have the other two plus many other resources on ASD and Asperger's. I wish the part about the diet was bigger! I would consider the cost in that case. Any useful tips to share from the diet section ;)?

I bought it used after seeing it on our therapist's bookshelf since our library didn't carry it. ;)

The Sensory Diet section explains what one is and does. It gives a sample of one, but you use the other parts of the book to put together one that fits your child.

Another option, see if you have a Learning Disability Association chapter close to you. They have a special needs library and loan books. They have a much better selection and it includes books for educators where libraries tend to focus more on parental support. The LDA offers a free consultation, where they help you interpret your reports or give suggestions on specific areas you are concerned with. They are not affiliated with the school district, and ours had open arms in regards to homeschooling. After the first hour consult, they charge $50 for educational consulting. They do not charge for their lending library.

Thank you for the recommendations :)! I just recently found our local Autism Association and bookmarked it. I did notice they mentioned that they have a library that people can borrow books from.

After your post I started digging through my books :lol:. I currently have four going (three for the most part) and had not reached the diet/ med parts yet. I have not started the sensory books yet. Oh, I also bought Raising a Sensory Smart Child, and that too has a nutrition section. I will be checking that out too. I was just reading Temple Grandin's advice on diet in The Way I See It. It gave me quite a bit of info to consider also :). You are correct though, the books I have are primarily geared towards parents.

I am so new to all of this I have a lot to learn about where to look for what. For now I am focusing my attention on getting as much info on Asperger's and SID as I can, before an evaluation. Once I know what we are dealing with, then I can determine a bit better how to approach it.

Thanks again!

ETA: I did save the book you recommended in my wishlist.

Edited by Guest