Menu

Combining sonlight question... 3 kids each 2 years apart.

staceyobu

Help me think this through.

We are doing SOTW 1 right now with my first grader. I am considering going back to Sonlight next year and would stick her in core 2 (c?)

My ds will be in K next year. I don't think he could hang with sonlight 2. He has a late birthday and will be barely five in time for K. I don't know that I can stomach another year of ancients (to put both of them in core 1) and my oldest has already done core K (or a? why the heck did they change the names!).

I am wondering if we could do p4/5 for DS's kinder year and maybe my youngest at age 3 could listen in. Then, the two of them could do core k at ages 6 and 4, core 1 at ages 7 and 5.

However, that would put my youngest doing cores a grade level ahead. But, on the flip side, I don't really see p4/5 as being enough history for a first grader.

I keep running through this and coming to the conclusion that Sonlight just doesn't work. Am I missing anything? I can't really fathom doing three separate cores for three kids.

You could spend two years on Core A (K) to bring your youngest up to suggested age. A lot of people do that with A because it's so easy to do by reading the sequels (Boxcar Children, My Father's Dragon, etc.) to the literature and getting library books/videos to supplement the history. P4/5 was a wonderful kindergarten year for us.

Yeah, when you have kids spaced the way yours are, Sonlight gets a lot harder. Mine are spaced a little further apart, (more like every three years instead of every two,) which means that my first will be in fourth, and presumably a little more self-sufficient, by the time my second gets to first. (For kindergarten, I'm sticking with Five in a Row, thanks.) I'm still planning on switching to Biblioplan so that I don't have to deal with exactly that issue, though--I can't really imagine trying to teach two separate cores, and by the time my third got up there, I would really be going crazy!