Menu

Anyone used Growing Your Vocab./Vocab. from Latin and Greek Roots?

Kathryn

I was wondering if anyone has used these books from Prestwick House as a roots program for their children? Or, if not, wants to tell me what they think from the samples (my oldest is in first grade, but I'm looking ahead and not quite sure what to look for)? I like the looks of them a lot more than Vocabulary from Classical Roots, but it seems you can't get the teacher support materials without ordering for a classroom.

Growing Your Vocabulary covers grades 4-6 and then Vocabulary from Latin and Greek Roots is another 6 levels. Each book has 20 lessons. The GYV also includes 4 reviews and has 10 activities per lesson. The VFLAGR has 6 activities per lesson.

I had never seen or heard of that. It does look very similar to VFCR down to the roots and words used. It seems more kid-friendly by comparison with the larger type and cartoon illustrations. I think you would not be losing out using it over VFCR (which is very dry). I think I am adding it to my future use list.

In what order do the upper levels progress?

I thought it looked a lot less "busy" than the VFCR books. Every time I try to look at the VFCR books, I get so confused by everything going on on the pages. I liked the different types of activities they include. And it seems to cover the same material, yes?

The Growing Your Vocabulary books are labeled A, B and C (4th-6th grade) and the Vocabulary from Latin and Greek Roots books are labeled I, II, III, IV, V, and VI (so, if you started this in 7th, it would go through 12th at one per year). Is that what you're asking?

I just sent an email to the company asking if there is currently a way to purchase the answer keys and tests without buying a pack of 30 workbooks, or if they would consider doing so in the future to tap into the homeschool market.