Menu

Teaching Horizon 1st grade math half pace?

LittleRed

Hello Ladies,

I have a very artistic 1st grade daughter who is struggling with the fast pace of Horizon 1st grade. When told to drill ALL addition facts 1-18 families her eyes glazed over. So I began teaching her by family, mastering one family before moving on. She is doing well with that. The problem is Horizon is like an out of control train when it comes to addition facts.

I don't know what to do...Do I stop the workbook altogether and focus on learning facts then pick it back up, scrap the whole program and look for something else, or teach it at half pace finishing at the end of 2nd grade?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Hello Ladies,

I have a very artistic 1st grade daughter who is struggling with the fast pace of Horizon 1st grade. When told to drill ALL addition facts 1-18 families her eyes glazed over. So I began teaching her by family, mastering one family before moving on. She is doing well with that. The problem is Horizon is like an out of control train when it comes to addition facts.

I don't know what to do...Do I stop the workbook altogether and focus on learning facts then pick it back up, scrap the whole program and look for something else, or teach it at half pace finishing at the end of 2nd grade?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

How are you teaching her math facts? Ds1st grade is doing Horizons math 1st grade and is doing good. I use MUS blocks and those are AMAZING! They let him see why. I would recommend doing something similar! Ds is autistic so I do slow down when needed and we just practice certain skills as needed. So far that has not been needed (we just started the 1st grade book 2 weeks ago though so we are not far into it)

Also, we use counters. He does great with those. He just needs to be able to see what he is learning. I figure if he learns by seeing (then I have him repeat with me ____ + ___ = ____)