Menu

Getting the most out of a language tutor for my 3yo

cottonmama

We have received a surprise opportunity for my 3yo dd and her 2yo cousin to meet with a native Spanish-speaker each week for an hour of language immersion. The tutor does not speak very much English at all. Any suggestions for preparation I should do, or resources I should bring, to help the girls get the most out of this time?

Thanks!

My dd7 meets with a Chinese tutor once a week. I use a curriculum that teaches vocabulary, basic sentence structure, and provides some review activities. She also learns songs and rhymes. Then her tutor uses the new vocab she is learning in their conversation - asking questions my dd has to answer, etc. She is also teaching her writing. So, the tutor is supplementing our learning by teaching the things I can't do effectively on my own. This approach has worked well for us so far!

I would have the tutor try to do things that are very language intensive. I would try to maximize the opportunity by trying to have her speaking most of the time, either speaking or prompting your daughter to answer. Reading books aloud and commenting on them and asking questions like where is the sun would be good. So would playing pretend games with her stuffed animals, games like store or house. Building with legos would probably not. Niether would playing tag or playing on the swings. Not enough talking. I would also use the tutor to extend the experience beyond the hour of tutoring. So, I would have the tutor teach me simple phrases like brush your teeth, get in the car, that was fun wasn't it, good, come here, are you hungry, and don't do that, and their answers. I would record her reading books so that my daughter could listen every day. I would find some children's videos that I was willing for my daughter to watch over and over and show them to the tutor so the tutor can teach and keep using some of the vocabulary (that way it would be repeated during the week). What a cool opportunity!

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass