Menu

ABeka, BJUP, or Apologia Elementary Books for 1st science

Aloha2U

What do you use or recommend specifically for fun early science education? Can I use the Apologia Elementary books for Pre-K, K or 1st? Other options I've come across are ABeka K & 1 (God's World, Discovering God's World) or BJUP (Grade 1 Science Subject).

I've thought about using Abeka K & 1 Sciences as a quick easy overview and Apologia Elementary Books (Exploring Creation with Astronomy, Botany, Zoology) for more in depth material... or maybe just read aloud material.

Any thoughts? What was your experience with these?

Guest MSMLkana

I *kinda* like Discovering God's World. (first grade) I'm not 100% happy with it, but I like it. It just seems to me to be younger than it's labeled, like more older 4-K, younger 5-K, rather than first graders. I dunno, though, it may just be me on that.

Would I buy it? Probably not. It was given to me for free, and free for "extra" material is great for me, so I can do something with it, ya know. (and besides, who says I *have* to use it in first grade???)

Have no experience with the rest of it.

~Kana

No experience with BJUP or ABeka, so I don't know if those qualify as "fun" or not. I wouldn't use Apologia with a young child - I tried it with an older 2nd grader and it was way too much for her.

What I like are Sonlight Science K and Real Science 4 Kids pre-level 1. I also think Winterpromise World Around Me and NOEO science look fun and appealing.

Blessings,

Laura