Menu

Excruciatingly painful writing... :)

JulieH

My ds, 9, says that writing is "excruciatingly painful" for him. ANYTHING that requires a pen or pencil results in tears...or horrendous writing. He has diagnosed dysgraphia and does work with an OT.

Today, I am doing a mama happy dance.

Though people have been telling me this for a while, I did not do it.

Drum roll....for grammar, I am having him TYPE his answers, and as a result, he is really engaged with the LEARNING and not crying over the WRITING.

He had to "rewrite" a bunch of sentences correctly using correct punctuation and capitalization. He actual enjoys the process, I am finding out, but it was so difficult for him to get past the part of "writing" it.

Now, here he sits, having "fun"???? with his Growing With Grammar because I got my head out of the sand and said "yes, honey. You may type your answers"

Now, as I finish this post, he has finished this lesson. A TEAR FREE lesson! Sigh.....

PS - I don't know why your child is in OT, but if hand strength is part of it, really focusing hard on the home exercise makes a HUGE difference. I try to stick it in every chance I get. If this is not your child's issue, ignore the rest of this post.

While I read history aloud, the kids are playing with playdough or Theraputty. You really want them squeezing, pinching, rolling, molding, etc. - so don't give out tons of playdough tools. Just hands!

For math, I ask for most answers in pompoms. If the number is 14, they use a clothespin to put 1 pompom in the 10s column and 4 pompoms in the 1s column.

Tearing paper, using scissors, thumb wrestling, stirring the dinner, using spray bottles with a squeeze handle, etc. Improving the whole arm & core strength helps too, so lots of playground time!

PS - I don't know why your child is in OT, but if hand strength is part of it, really focusing hard on the home exercise makes a HUGE difference. I try to stick it in every chance I get. If this is not your child's issue, ignore the rest of this post.

While I read history aloud, the kids are playing with playdough or Theraputty. You really want them squeezing, pinching, rolling, molding, etc. - so don't give out tons of playdough tools. Just hands!

For math, I ask for most answers in pompoms. If the number is 14, they use a clothespin to put 1 pompom in the 10s column and 4 pompoms in the 1s column.

Tearing paper, using scissors, thumb wrestling, stirring the dinner, using spray bottles with a squeeze handle, etc. Improving the whole arm & core strength helps too, so lots of playground time!

Thanks!! GREAT ideas!

He has been in OT for a few years now for his handwriting, sensory issues, ADD/ADHD (ALERT program and self regulation) and a plethora of other things. Presently, he gets OT and ST on horseback! (hippotherapy) and one ST session per week at the ST's office. It's going really well.

Our old OT had him use Theraputty a lot. I think I may go back to that!

Our old OT had him use Theraputty a lot. I think I may go back to that!

Make sure you get the right color! The last tub I bought, I thought I'd go one consistency thicker than what we had be using. That stuff is ridiculous!! *I* can't even do anything with it, and I don't have the issues my kids have!! :)

Presently, he gets OT and ST on horseback! (hippotherapy) and one ST session per week at the ST's office. It's going really well.

That's awesome! There are crazy-long wait lists for hippotherapy around here, so we haven't gotten to do it. :( I have to think by sensory-seeking kid would LOVE it!