Menu

Saxon Math supplemented w/Singapore or MUS?

Aloha2U

I've chosen to start with Saxon Math K for preschool with my ds this fall. I've been researching, researching, and researching curriculum for our homeschooling journey and came across a curricula review for Singapore Primary Math on the WTM site...

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/J01singapore.html

My questions...

1. Has anyone used Saxon as the main program & supplemented with MUS or Singapore for its creative problem solving... and if so, what age/grade did you start doing this?

2. I will be doing Saxon 1 for K and Saxon 2 for 1st and I know that VP uses the Daily Math Practices by Evan-Moor to compliment them. Is this a sufficient supplement or do you definately recommend Singapore or MUS as a secondary?

3. What age/grade does this really need to be addressed with Saxon?

I believe my ds will do well with Saxon, but just want to know what to expect and plan for the future to fulfill our math goals for a classical education. As you may be able to gather... I'm a planner!!!

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you!

I've chosen to start with Saxon Math K for preschool with my ds this fall. I've been researching, researching, and researching curriculum for our homeschooling journey and came across a curricula review for Singapore Primary Math on the WTM site...

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/J01singapore.html

My questions...

1. Has anyone used Saxon as the main program & supplemented with MUS or Singapore for its creative problem solving... and if so, what age/grade did you start doing this?

2. I will be doing Saxon 1 for K and Saxon 2 for 1st and I know that VP uses the Daily Math Practices by Evan-Moor to compliment them. Is this a sufficient supplement or do you definately recommend Singapore or MUS as a secondary?

3. What age/grade does this really need to be addressed with Saxon?

I believe my ds will do well with Saxon, but just want to know what to expect and plan for the future to fulfill our math goals for a classical education. As you may be able to gather... I'm a planner!!!

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you!

1. I used to use Saxon and supplement, now I have switched over to Singapore entirely. I do think it is best to supplement, and Singapore is better than MUS for that, IMO and it costs less. When I was supplementing, I started in first grade.

2. I think Singapore is a better resource because it presents the problems in a totally different way that requires the child to think through the process of finding the answer. MUS is such an involved curriculum that I would think it would be hard to just supplement with it.

3. I would start when your child is reading well, if you are going to use Singapore. One of the strengths of Singapore is the complexity of the word problems. If you do go with Singapore, you may want to check out the Challenging Word Problems books as a supplement.

HTH

ETA: The review you linked is pretty old. You might want to do a search on the boards for Singapore...there is probably enough info on the boards to answer any question you have.