Menu

Question about mastitis

I have had mastitis for the last two days (and believe me it is absolutely terrible). I had it twice with my dd and now I have gotten it again. So, I am familiar with it.

My question is: is it normal for my breast to still really hurt inside after I have been on the antibiotic for a day? Both my other times the pain in my breast went immediately away when I started the medicine. This time the antibiotic almost immediately alleviated my flu-like symptoms, but I woke up today and I still have the same amount of pain. My ds has completely drained my milk non-stop for me and I have done EVERY single remedy there is to unclog a milk duct. The thing is I can't find the actual clogged duct, just pain in different areas and no hard swollen duct or redness in any area. And antibiotic is not going to unclog my duct, so I am not exactly sure what I am to do.

Thanks for reading all this! I am just now worrying myself that it could be something else (who knows what).

Keep up with the meds, if it was a really bad infection it can last a while. If I got to the doctor within an hour of symptoms starting, the antibiotics worked immediately. The first one I ever had was while flying to NYC. I called my doctor 24 hours after it started and it was another 24 before I could get the description filled and started. I was in pain for a few days after starting meds.

If it still hurts after a few days, I would call your doctor.