Menu

Good readers to go with LCC

Those of you following LCC and looking for beginning readers beyond the Bob books, you might like these.

yesterdays classics reader

They have a set of readers based on fairy tales, myths etc. that go along nicely with the LCC suggestions for that age. I have been using them this year with my first grader - they are fun to read because they are "living books" stories, but simplified a bit in the language for a beginning reader. We also have used them to do a bit of mechanics (introducing types of sentences in the story - talking about capitalization, punctuation etc.). We are enjoying them!

I'll second this recommendation! I just ordered the Primer and First Reader. DS (almost 8) doesn't really like to do independent reading but he read the whole Primer in one sitting (without my asking him to read any at all). DD (5.5 but reading since 4) read through the first 3 stories and really enjoyed them. And, Amazon has many of the yesterdays classics on their 4 for 3 sale right now :)