Menu

Italian language program for dd studying abroad?-studied French through AP

My daughter will be studying abroad in Florence, Italy starting the beginning of this January through the third week in April. Her classes will be taught in English, but she is hoping to become somewhat familiar with Italian before she goes. Her goals are to be able to get around and speak with people throughout her day.

She has taken French through AP, but does not feel that the instruction was very good. She probably can read better than speak. Regardless, given that Italian and French are both romance languages, it still should be an asset for her in trying to grasp Italian quickly.

We are looking for suggestions on programs that would best help her gain a working comfort level with day-to-day language in Italian.

Thanks for any guidance,

Margaret

What has helped the most here was Rosetta Stone. Level 1 and 2 should get her very comfortable, but she won't have to use it much there. Florence is very Americanized and the only place I had to translate was in the square, when an old man came up to let me know there was free drinking water (frizzante and naturale) in a kiosk behind the Neptune fountain. :lol: The rest of our trip we'd speak, and immediately the other person would switch to flawless English. Smaller towns and places more out of the way require more Italian, but the cities often do not.