Menu

Help with Ancient history!

I am trying to integrate our study of Ancients after using several programs that study by civilization, rather than chronologically. I think using a timeline is helping but we are deficient in many Near East civilizations... Does anyone have a chart saved online to keep it all straight???

I have used -

Grammar stage:

Veritas OT/AE

Veritas NT/Greece and Rome

SOTW 1-4 with TQ AHYS as two separate subjects

Logic (now):

TQ Ancient Egypt/Greece and Ancient Rome

My choices study by civilization, so when we start over with Greece we go all the way back in time to Crete and Mycenae and when we study Rome we go back to Etruscans. The timeline helps - but I'm not getting the interesections of all these civilizations including:

Assyrians

Babylonians

Hittites

Canaanites

Persians

etc.

I have the Red Kingfisher and I plan on going through the Ancient section with my 5th grader. It doesn't cover more than SOTW 1 did though - just basic names/cities of each civilization that I think he remembers or will after we review. It doesn't show intersections.

My 7th grade daughter is reading Dorothy Mills, History of the Ancient World. This covers many of these civilizations but I'm not sure my 5th grader could read that alone with comprehension. Maybe I could read it and "teach" through Kingfisher with him.

I also have soooo many overviews - don't know how to choose:

Beacon Lights of History

A Picturesque Tale of Progress

A Story of Mankind

History of the Ancient World (SWB) - my 7grade d says she's up for this but I'm not sure!!

Spielvogal, Western Civilization

I'm kicking myself that I didn't see this coming this summer. My lesson plan has us wrapping up Egypt last week and moving on to Greece but we just don't have this understood. I, myself, would love to read the OT as history and understand what is happening with background knowledge. On another thread I posted, I was recommended Mystery of History - but I don't want to recreate the wheel with a curriculum. I just want a resource to help with TQ.

Does anyone have recommendations for me? A chart? A Timeline? Or one of my books would be best?

Thanks so much!!

Edited by LNC

I have a plan that uses the Victor Journey Through the Bible (for your OT) with a chronological lineup of KF (red), UILE, CHOW, SOM, etc. Feel free to go grab the first quarter. I will have the subsequent quarters up on time. I am tweaking 2 still - hands on projects (just finished a mythology task card scavenger hunt, LOL). You are welcome to use it as you wish. If you want the .doc, just shout.

Edit: I want completely chronologically, and divided the civilizations accordingly - old kingdom Egypt after ancient africa and the pre-history studies. The Summerians then follow too.

I used MOH and SOTW as spines, with SOC and SOM sprinkled in there for advanced resources.

And, History of the Ancient World was not meant for logic stage. FYI

Edited by ChrissySC

The new TQ Beginnings guide does this a little. It will say when you can start the Ancient Greece guide if you want to study it in chronological order, etc. However, I'm still not sure that would be what you are looking for.

For example...on page 105 section 29 of TQ Beginnings it will let you know that the Minoans were co-existing with Abraham and Sumer, etc. Mrs Miller, then tells you you could begin the Ancient Greece guide using the sections on the Minoans or she also lists a small sample of books on Mesopotamia, the Minoans, etc. for you to study briefly if you choose to use the Ancient Greece guide after the OT/ Ancient Egypt study. TQ Beginnings has you studying Joseph and Moses while learning about Ancient Egypt. In another place, she then suggests where you could use the TQ Ancient Greece guide to see the co-existence of Gideon and the Trojan War participants, etc. So if that's the kind of thing you are looking for, I highly recommend you purchase the new TQ Beginnings/Old Testament/Ancient Egypt guide. It is very good, so much rich commentary. It has been a huge blessing to us so far. We are using the TQ guide alongside of MFW CTG. In case you are unaware, they also now offer the guides in instant downloadable PDF format on the TQ site.

Edited by mom&nana

I found out about the new Beginnings guide after I made my 36 week lesson plans for Ancient Egypt/Greece and Ancient Rome. I didn't want to start over and didn't anticipate this problem ahead of time. I think for now I'll have to:

5th grader - Kingfisher

7th grader - Dorothy Mills, History of the Ancient World

They can finish these by the end of the week...

Me - SWB, History of the Ancient World

As we move onto Ancient Greece this we'll be sure to use our timeline extensively to know WHEN we are studying :).

If anyone else has charts, tips or advice I would great appreciate it!

I thought of something else, not sure if you are willing to buy another book, but All Through the Ages by Christine Miller has a timeline in it. It also lists books on topics by grade, similar to TQ. You can buy it in ebook or print format. You may even be able to find it used. I don't know if it would be worth the cost for just the timeline though.

I thought of something else, not sure if you are willing to buy another book, but All Through the Ages by Christine Miller has a timeline in it. It also lists books on topics by grade, similar to TQ. You can buy it in ebook or print format. You may even be able to find it used. I don't know if it would be worth the cost for just the timeline though.

I do have that, didn't remember a timeline in it. Thanks so much! Do you think my plan a couple posts up in this thread will work?

You're welcome. :) I have the ebook of ATTA and it says it's the 3rd edition. It has a timeline spread throughout the book. The Ancient Near East timeline begins on page 33 of my book.

I'm humbled that you'd ask my advice on your plan. I feel so unqualified to give advice in that regard because I feel like I often have no idea what I'm doing...lol. It looks good to me though, I think it will be fine. :) Using a timeline while studying should help you to see the connections.

Here's another thought--kind-of a lot of work, but free:

1. Choose a program, stick with it.

2. At the same time (or slightly ahead), unschool YOURSELF on the subject. Make & maintain your OWN timeline.

This is basically what I've been doing this year, & one stack of books leads to another. Keep notes on the most helpful books (duh, but I wish I'd listened to that!). You'll be able to add to & clarify conversations you have w/ your kids over their more limited reading.

And don't forget historical fiction. Imo, that tends to do a lot more for showing interrelationships than non-fiction usually does. I just finished Hittite Warrior, for ex, & wow. That was an overwhelming amt of info to sort through!

Here's another thought--kind-of a lot of work, but free:

1. Choose a program, stick with it.

2. At the same time (or slightly ahead), unschool YOURSELF on the subject. Make & maintain your OWN timeline.

This is basically what I've been doing this year, & one stack of books leads to another. Keep notes on the most helpful books (duh, but I wish I'd listened to that!). You'll be able to add to & clarify conversations you have w/ your kids over their more limited reading.

And don't forget historical fiction. Imo, that tends to do a lot more for showing interrelationships than non-fiction usually does. I just finished Hittite Warrior, for ex, & wow. That was an overwhelming amt of info to sort through!

That is so true. My (wise beyond her years) 12yod said, "Mom, you would have such an easier time with this if you just read all the books on my reading list". She seems to be making connections more than her mother/teacher apparently! :001_smile: I think the Mills, History of the Ancient World is a big part of why she is getting it though.

I found a library book for my 5th grader to read too to go along with the Kingfisher section on early Ancient...

http://www.amazon.com/First-Civilizations-Carson-Dellosa-Publishing/dp/157768950X

I'm LOVING History of the Ancient World, by SWB. It is so well organized and written. I do wish there was something as well organized for the social/cultural/artistic history - like a giant picture book. I guess some of the Eyewitness books fill that void somewhat...

I'm feeling better as we move on. We are majorly emphasizing our timeline though. Thanks everyone!

Edited by LNC

I'm LOVING History of the Ancient World, by SWB. It is so well organized and written. I do wish there was something as well organized for the social/cultural/artistic history - like a giant picture book. I guess some of the Eyewitness books fill that void somewhat...

I'm feeling better as we move on. We are majorly emphasizing our timeline though. Thanks everyone!

Oh, see, my reading level for things like this is somewhere around 4th g. :lol: I want the giant pic book for EVERYTHING.

On the bright side, I've found that I can sound smarter than my hist major dh just by reading a couple of kids' books on a subject. The juvenile section is really an undiscovered treasure for adults. ;)