Menu

Just got our first segment of Awesome Math Year-round

Oh, my. My son has been anxiously awaiting its arrival, and here it is! I hope he can do these. Ack!

For those who don't know about this, Awesome Math Year-round (AMY, not to be confused with AIME) is a wonderful program put together by Titu Andreescu and colleagues. We like to call them the Math Yodas. :)

http://awesomemath.org/year-round-program/

My son has a jazz concert he has to attend after school, but I will let you know what he thinks of it and what sort of math you'd want under your belt before attempting it.

That program looks very cool, I'll have to look into it. Titu Andreescu was my calculus teacher back when he first immigrated to the US.

Wow! You are so lucky to have had him as a teacher. My son would love to have someone like Titu as a teacher.

Anyway, ds says that if you have a very solid understanding of basic high school math -- Algebra 1 and 2, geometry -- a student could do at least some of the AMY problems. It's more a matter of problem solving, not chug-and-plug or drill-and-kill math. The AMY problems are very cleverly written and require a lot of thinking. A beginner will probably not be able to do all or many of the problems because they are tough. My son doesn't think he will be able to complete all of them. The way he works on them is by walking around thinking of how to attack the problem. After he figures out that, he writes down the solution.

Throughout the year, a student will receive six packets of problems. Written solutions are sent back to AMY people who then give individual feedback and help teach students to learn how to write proofs.

This year's topics are:

Aug - Sep: Diophantine Equations

Created by Titu Andreescu and Dorin Andrica

Oct - Nov: Recursive Sequences

Titu Andreescu and Dorin Andrica

Dec - Jan: Geometric Inequalities

Cosmin Pohoata

Feb - Mar: Polynomials

Titu Andreescu and Ivan Borsenco

Apr - May: Homethety and Inversion

Cosmin Pohoata

Jun - July: Special Angles

Zuming Feng and Yufei Zhao

I hope this helps anyone who might be curious about it.