Menu

So we've started that Christian Missions study I posted about awhile back...

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264651

and

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266191

I have a question about evaluating EK's work, but first, let me tell you how I've got the course laid out.

EK (11th grade) is participating in the Bible portion (only) of MFW ECC along with with my 7th grader & me. EK will read the books from the 7th/8th supplement (the 7th grader is NOT reading them because she reads below grade level): The Narrow Road, Bruchko, I Dared to Call Him Father, and Peace Child, as well as Kingdom Tales. EK will also do some reading aloud to the younger girl from the Christian Heroes Then and Now series (6 of these are used in ECC), Missionary Stories with the Millers, and Hero Tales. Reference materials we're all using include From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya, Window on the World, Operation World, and materials from Voice of the Martyrs.

On her own, EK will also read 5 or 6 of these (she gets to choose which ones):

God’s Smuggler – Brother Andrew

In the Presence of My Enemies – Burnham

In Search of the Source – Anderson, Moore

Tortured for Christ – Wurmbrand

The Little Woman – Aylward, Hunter

Orphans of the Orient - Pierce

Total Abandon -- Witherall

Hudson Taylor and Maria: Pioneers in China -- Pollock

Send the Light – Harper

Through Gates of Splendor – Elliot

If I Perish – Kim

Evidence Not Seen – Rose

Mother Teresa – Spink

Jesus Freaks -- D.C. Talk

Voices of the Faithful -- Beth Moore

So... I have to put a grade on her transcript, and I have to be able to document what she did to earn that grade, so please look at my ideas as to how to evaluate EK's work in this course and tell me what you think:

• Keep a notebook of the countries/people groups/missionaries we study (pictures, map work, statistics, charts, etc.).
  • Make PowerPoint presentations that explain some aspect of what she learns (Bible translation, the persecuted church, or the life and work of one of the missionaries, etc.) and share these with our small group at church.
  • Do some kind of project to promote awareness of a particular unreached people group and to raise money for missions and/or Bible translation.

Please comment and make suggestions if you have other (or better) ideas for me. Except please don't suggest having her take tests over the material because I don't want to have to make up tests! :tongue_smilie:

• Keep a notebook of the countries/people groups/missionaries we study (pictures, map work, statistics, charts, etc.).

• Make PowerPoint presentations that explain some aspect of what she learns (Bible translation, the persecuted church, or the life and work of one of the missionaries, etc.) and share these with our small group at church.

• Do some kind of project to promote awareness of a particular unreached people group and to raise money for missions and/or Bible translation.

Well, really any of these would work. Actually, I might require all of them, unless one or two were really in-depth.

Notebooking: My older dd did this for history and I absolutely get lost in looking through her notebooks. I love it. I miss it. I think it's "real learning."

Power Point: My youngest ds has done this on occasion as a sub for writing. I think it's a great experience for college & the work force.

Between those two (notebooking and/or power point), I'd make sure your dd is doing some good quality writing. That, or make sure she's doing it in English.

Missions: That seems to flow so naturally from what she's reading. We're actually requiring service yearly since it's already scheduled in MFW's high school (more a part of his Bible credit), and it's been a good experience so far.

After typing that, I'm thinking if it were my dd, I might have her do a mission after reading so much about missions, and then have her do one or both of the others to really share what she has learned. They say that teaching is the best way to retain information, and that's what she'd be doing with the notebooking and/or Power Point project.

Julie

Thank you so much for the feedback! I was beginning to think my posts were invisible to everyone except me!

I actually was already thinking about having her do all of the things I mentioned. I guess I just want to be sure she's doing enough to earn a whole credit, but I don't want to overwhelm her either. I don't feel that simply reading the missionary biographies is enough, but I wasn't sure how to beef it up just the right amount.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I was beginning to think my posts were invisible to everyone except me!

I actually was already thinking about having her do all of the things I mentioned. I guess I just want to be sure she's doing enough to earn a whole credit, but I don't want to overwhelm her either. I don't feel that simply reading the missionary biographies is enough, but I wasn't sure how to beef it up just the right amount.

Yes, we all feel invisible sometimes :) I feel invisible in the car a lot :auto:

One mom in our city had kids who did a lot of actual missions. After each one, her child would have a day of presenting what she did to the local homeschoolers. It would just be at her house, and she'd have like an hour for younger kids and an hour for older kids. She'd talk, show things (photos, mementos), and answer questions (eeek, I remember lots of questions about the time all the young women in a mission group got worms when they visited another area and drank water they hadn't boiled themselves, and they could hear the worms in each other at night!!!).

Anyways, I thought of that for your dd's power point -- maybe it could be created as possibly something for a local co-op or support group, to inspire kids and teach them a bit about the variety of missions out there. My oldest is an engineer, and he has to do a LOT of presentations, so it's a good job skill.

Julie