Menu

How to use Megawords? Level? Independent?

eljomom

I just ordered a Megawords workbook for my 12 year old son, who is entering his 3rd year of homeschooling with minimal spelling the last 2 years. I was hoping for something NOT time consuming. In looking over the TM, it says it is meant to be "taught" and not done independently. I also read that you really need to do Megawords 1&2 first in order to learn the syllable stuff, etc...

I ordered Megawords 4. I didn't want to pay the $$$ for the diagnositc book (why can't they offer this on their website for free?), so I just sort of picked a book that looked like it had words he'd be likely to "mess up."

I actually have Spelling Workout on my shelf (Level H) that my oldest daughter started 2 years ago, and we quit after a couple weeks because #1 she's a natural speller, and #2, it seemed like a ton of busywork.

So I am wondering if I should start him in Level 1 even though he's 12? Also, how do you implement it with your child in the "easiest" manner? I have others I am schooling as well, and not sure how to fit everything in my day, so definitely don't want spelling to be a chore with him.

Thanks!

I am using Megawords book 1 with my dd11. Megawords teaches how to spell multi-syllable words, so the 1st book isn't "too easy" or "babyish" for a pre-teen (or even teen, for that matter). If your ds has not learned the syllabication rules, etc., then yes, you probably should start from book 1. They are fairly inexpensive, so it's not a huge burden.

There really isn't much "teaching" involved. I mostly clarify the workbook page directions and let dd do them on her own. There are a few pages with dictation words that I have to read aloud to her out of the teacher's manual, and you are supposed to give a spelling quiz at the end of each lesson, but that's it.

I would glance at the teacher's instructions before he begins each lesson, just to see if there is anything you want to discuss a bit, make sure he gets, etc., before he starts the lesson, maybe pre-test him on some of the list words, or do the first page or first few questions together to be sure he's got it, then let him run on his own. Check his work and give him the test at the end of the lesson. This should only take 5-10 minutes per day.

It really is a good program, and I hope you find it works for your ds.

HTH,

I am using Megawords book 1 with my dd11. Megawords teaches how to spell multi-syllable words, so the 1st book isn't "too easy" or "babyish" for a pre-teen (or even teen, for that matter). If your ds has not learned the syllabication rules, etc., then yes, you probably should start from book 1.
:iagree:

Each book covers particular topics, sometimes with an overarching theme (e.g. one book is devoted to the schwa sound).

I don't teach beyond reading the dictation elements of a lesson and occasionally going over the instructions. However, if one were to use the book for reading and vocabulary, I suspect more teacher involvement would be necessary. At the end of each section I test all the words, adding persistant problem words to the review lists.