Menu

Using Shurley Grammar with a 10th grader

Can you use Shurley Grammar 7 with a 10th grader who has never used this curriculum?  

1. 1. Can you use Shurley Grammar 7 with a 10th grader who has never used this curriculum?

• Yes Shurley Grammar covers everything a student needs to know in preparation for college.
    • Yes, Shurley Grammar works but Rod&Staff is more thorough.

We've never used Shurley Grammar but I'm considering using it with my tenth grader who has been using Easy grammar since we began homeschooling four years ago. She loves grammar and is considering being an English major. She just finished Easy Grammar Plus in 9th grade. But I'm afraid she may be missing important concepts not covered in Easy Grammar. That's the reason I want to switch to Shurley Grammar. Could we go into level 7 if we've never had the previous levels? I've also heard great comments about Rod&Staff. Does anyone know how these two compare?

Thank you for any input.

It really depends on your daughter, but I think with having had some grammar already, that she would probably do fine. There is review in the beginning...it just goes more quickly than the previous grades. I think the younger grades may be too slow for her, being that she is in 10th grade. Not being an English major, my humble opinion is that I think it is a superb curriculum. It has jingles to help remember English terms and definitions and a question and answer method for classifying the parts of the sentence (similar to diagramming). There is also a writing component that you can use or not that I believe prepares them well for different types of writing. ;)

I don't know much about Rod & Staff except for that it is very thorough.

Hope this helps. :D

Blessings,

Lori

I don't know about the older grades, but I did not like the script for Shurley English. It was too much prep work for me to teach. I prefer open and go. For Shurley english I needed read ahead and make sure I knew my part. It was just too much. But, I was looking at the lower levels.

I really like R&S.

Shurley Grammar seems pretty basic to me. A tenth grader could go for something a little more thorough. Shurley 6 or 7 covers the eight parts of speech and the six sentence types with a few usage rules thrown in. It has a lot of repetition of concepts and a lot of repetitious practice. I think it fits most fifth or sixth graders better. Surely a tenth grade student thinking of being an English major would benefit from a program say.....like.... Harvey's Grammar or other intensive and more thorough grammar.