Menu

Saxon K for kindergarten +?

warriormom

Ok, I just went to my classical christian school's open house. They are using Saxon k classroom version for kidergarten instead of Saxon 1 that they used last year for kindergarten. The school feels like it will lay a solid foundation and is developmentally appropriate. I am a little bummed since ds will most likely be bored since he wants to do arithmatic. What do u think I should add to acompany saxon k for math play for afterschooling? Miquon, cuisenair rod activity books etc? Any encouragment?

My son did Saxon K in school for K as well. Yes, he had known the material since he was 3 years old. Thankfully, K is a party, so it didn't adversely affect him much. At home and in the van, he still did all kinds of math in his head (addition, subtraction, multiplication, addition of negative numbers, etc.). I didn't add anything until first grade when he started really getting bored (first grade is not a party). At that point, I afterschooled with MM1A, then pulled him out of school halfway through the year and zipped through MM until we hit a spot with new material.

He was in a full day K, and I just didn't want to add any extra work on top of that. He was doing fine doing math in his head. We incorporated math into our life as usual.

ETA: Saxon K in K is fine, IMO, as they still end up being able to do algebra in 8th grade. In my son's school, at the end of 6th grade, they take a test. If they do well, they go to Algebra 1/2 for 7th, followed by Algebra I for 8th. If they don't do well, they do Saxon 8/7, and I assume they then do Algebra 1/2 in 8th? I'm not entirely sure. I just know the first route as I know a new 7th grader who went that route. They're using old Saxon materials, I understand that newer ones may have a different sequence.

Edited by boscopup