Menu

Newbie with Kindergartens -- Need Help w/Next Step

Purple Cat

I have twins who are starting kindergarten this year.

I started homeschooling this summer to help establish the homeschool rhythm and expectation that they really need to sit down at the table and do math with Mom each day before we actually needed to "count" our days.

I feel like we have hit a steady pace and are ready for the next step. My dilemma is deciding what our next step should be.

Right now, my son reads, either to himself or me, each day. (He taught himself to read, and reads fluently.) My daughter reads on a Dr. Seuss level, with those books providing a "just-right" challege. She reads to me or with me each day.

Both children sit with me twice a day to do math, and complete two worksheets a day.

Where would you go from here? What subject would you add to this mix?

Do you have the Core Knowledge kindergarten list? That helped me figure out what I really needed to do.

Here's my list, in order of priorities:

Religion

Reading / Phonics

Handwriting

Math

Literature / Readalouds - I have Sonlight P4/5, but haven't gotten that going - we are basically just reading off lists at this point (Ambleside Online Year O, Five In a Row, etc.)

General Knowledge / Memory Work - includes calendar, weather, songs, pledge, manners, etc.

History - we are using Beautiful Feet's Early American - I had high hopes of doing Geography by adding Galloping the Globe combined with Five in a Row, but that hasn't worked out timewise

Science - we are just using random books right now - hoping to start Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding soon

Drawing

Piano

Edited by MeganW