Menu

Clarification question on how to do narration in WWE 1?

staceyobu

My first grader can narrate to me something she remembers from the story. I would like her to write it herself for the handwriting practice. I have been writing it down and letting her copy it onto the actual page so that all the words are spelled correctly. Is this the correct way to do it? Or can I just let her think up something she remembers and write it down by herself? She is good at forming complete sentences, but doesn't always spell everything correctly.

In first grade, I'd write it down still. I still write it down for my 2nd grader too, but he's a typical pencil-phobic boy. :D We're following WWE-style writing for these early years because of that. It fits him very well. I don't even have him copy his SOTW narrations yet, though I may do that later in the year. We do copywork and dictation in WWE, plus cursive handwriting (which is copywork of individual letters or 2-3 letter words at this point).

It's not uncommon for girls to be born with a pencil in their hand, ready to write their thoughts down earlier, of course. If my son had to go straight to writing his narration, it would end up as short as possible. :tongue_smilie: Since he knows he doesn't have to worry about how much he has to write (if I do have him copy or dictate a narration, it will only be one sentence or part of sentence that can be made into a single sentence), he gives me much better narrations. They aren't short, choppy sentences like the examples in the book. He doesn't go on and on, but he gives decent length sentences that meet the criteria for the narration. I'm not in a hurry to have him writing his own narrations right now, reducing the quality of the thoughts narrated. Once he's been doing dictation a while and is more comfortable with the physical act of writing, I'll be happy to have him start writing part of his own narrations.