Menu

ESL grade placement

Josephine

I have a friend who moved to the US from Japan. She speaks English but her children only speak Japanese and she wants to homeschool them. Anyone have any recommendations for criteria in what grade to place them? I think in Japan they would have been in 4th and 7th grade. Do you place them by what grade they finished in Japan? By their age? She also is concerned that they won't be able to do the grade they should be in because they only started learning English a few months ago so they aren't very fluent. Should she start them a few grades below?

Josephine

If she wants to homeschool them for the long run, I'd just call them whatever grade they'd be in if they were in the U.S., but offer them materials based on their abilities. It'll probably be all over the board - math will be at or above grade level, language arts will be ESL.

As much as I like homeschooling, I'd imagine it'd be a good idea to move them to a school after a year or so. Their English will improve in leaps and bounds.

My sister and I were both moved back because of the language barrier and we were bored to death! But, on the same token, total immersion is what had us speaking English in 6 months. After having taken only half of the first year of ESL we were moved to mainstream classes skipping ESL 2, 3, 4 and writing! If I were the mom, and having had the experience and knowledge I have, I would put them in school at the beginning, and take them out once the language skills were obtained. Learning the language will be a lot easier by total immersion simply because their teachers and classmates will not explain things to them in their native language, forcing them to learn English, mom will be more easily persuaded by her motherly nature to help them out, even if just a little. Children learn impressively fast at that age, so they'll pick it up very quickly, and will be able to be homeschooled after just a few months. I hope this helps!