Menu

What to do after Get Ready, Get Set, Go....

diaperjoys

...if the child isn't yet ready to make the leap to ETC 1????

My almost 4yo is devouring the ETC primers. This is not me pushing her into schoolwork...rather, it is her dragging me along & begging. Since she craves school so much I figured I'd go ahead and teach her to read. She's really quite competent. She's known the letters and all their sounds since before she turned 2. However, as might be expected, her fine motor skills aren't quite up to speed with her processing abilities. No way she's ready to do ETC 1. So I'm thinking a more oral approach to reading woud be good.

I'm thinking of OPGTR, but don't know if I can stand it - I usually despise scripted anything, and absolutely hate using 100EZ. But, this isn't really about me, and if OPGTR is perfect for her, then I suppose I just need to suck it up and do it! But I thought I'd check & see if there are any other ideas?????

Some people do ETC orally instead.

You could wait on ETC and move ahead (and then go back and do it as a sort of review, to firm up understanding - which I think it works well for). You could focus on readers like the BOB books or others. Or you could do things like Starfall or Reading Eggs. Progressive Phonics is free and fun. You could play games to help learn blending. You could do a program like Ordinary Parent's Guide, which is done orally.

Word Mastery from Don Potter?

Webster's Speller?

Both are free, and I'm using both right now. We've done some syllables from Webster's first (the two-letter ones, CVC words, etc.), and we're going through Word Mastery now just for something different (I keep the method the same, but I change sources of content to keep things more interesting). DS is still at the sounding out everything stage, though he can sometimes read a word without sounding it out.

If the kid can't blend yet, I'd just pop Leap Frog videos in and let her play starfall.com, plus do some of the early syllabary stuff from Webster's. I really like that Webster's starts out with open and closed syllables, teaching long and short vowels. It makes "sight words" much easier, as some of them involve long vowels due to being open syllables, and that was no problem for DS - he knew how to pronounce open syllables already and was able to sound out the "sight words", getting us into sentences easier.