Menu

Math the Fun Way is really helping my dd learn her facts!!

I posted the other day about my dd and her problems with math facts. She is 6, reads probably between 5-6 grade level, memorizes poetry etc. Very good overall in language arts type stuff. I could not, for the life of me, figure out why it was so hard for her to learn her math facts. We are using MUS.

Someone reminded me of the Math the Fun Way book. I already had the book. Just never used it. I went back and purchased the flash cards as well as the workbook. We started with the 3's and 4 facts. She pretty much has them down in just the short time we worked through them today. I am amazed! This coming from a kid that can't remember, without thinking, what 3+2 is. The interesting thing is, the book does not have stories for the 2 facts. It just teaches to take the biggest number and count up two. She is still having a hard time with those but it breezing through the 3's and 4's which utilize the short story and a picture. I find that fascinating!

I am hoping this keeps working as well as it did today. I see no reason why it wouldn't though. I guess the facts are being entered into her brain in a way she can understand. Reading a cute little story!

Sandy

I posted the other day about my dd and her problems with math facts. She is 6, reads probably between 5-6 grade level, memorizes poetry etc. Very good overall in language arts type stuff. I could not, for the life of me, figure out why it was so hard for her to learn her math facts. We are using MUS.

Someone reminded me of the Math the Fun Way book. I already had the book. Just never used it. I went back and purchased the flash cards as well as the workbook. We started with the 3's and 4 facts. She pretty much has them down in just the short time we worked through them today. I am amazed! This coming from a kid that can't remember, without thinking, what 3+2 is. The interesting thing is, the book does not have stories for the 2 facts. It just teaches to take the biggest number and count up two. She is still having a hard time with those but it breezing through the 3's and 4's which utilize the short story and a picture. I find that fascinating!

I am hoping this keeps working as well as it did today. I see no reason why it wouldn't though. I guess the facts are being entered into her brain in a way she can understand. Reading a cute little story!

Sandy

Math the Fun Way is the only way my ds could learn the facts. However I didn't drill him after he learned them and he forgot them!!!! :(. We quickly reviewed the lessons AND then drilled the facts for a year or so and now he's rock solid.