Menu

Auditory Processing Disorder

My son has never been officially evaluated for this, but I'm very certain it is a big issue for him. We actually thought he had poor hearing at first, and had him tested, but his "hearing" is excellent.

Some of his obvious symptoms are:

~longer response time to any posed question

~many times acts confused when I talk to him, doesn't seem to understand the words coming out of my mouth.

~easily frustrated and distracted by noise.

~has trouble doing anything requiring multiple steps. Forgets steps past one or two completely.

I've heard there are programs that might help like Earobics, are there any others? Any advice is appreciated. On a side note, if there are any other programs worthy, could you list their full title, I"m still struggling with the abbrieviations here.

Thanks,

Di

Auditory processing is an area that people disagree on - some say there is no remediation, some people say there are therapies that can help. Here's a list of what I know.

Sound Therapies - these really haven't been fully tested. There are alot of case studies and testimonials, but nothing else. The big ones are Berard Auditory Integration Training (AIT), Tomatis, The Listening Program (modified Tomatis).

Earobics and FastForWord help with learning to read. FastForWord also helps with auditory processing.

If motor control issues are present, Interactive Metronome may help.

LearningRX and Cognitive Calisthenics are programs to train cognitive skills. I don't know how much they help with auditory processing deficits.

He can wear earplugs for short periods of time to cut out background sound and help him concentrate. An FM system or a system like the Williams Sound Pocket Talker my help him hear a speaker more clearly.

These are all the programs I am researching for my son with auditory processing disorder (APD).

You can visit websites and usually can find if a provider is near you.

My ds used the Listening Program (TLP) after years of speach therapy (ST). It didn't do much for him. Using it at the beginning of ST or a more intensive listening program might have better results.

The home-based version of Learning Rx and PACE improved my ds's auditory skills immensely. However, I would have done Fast For Word instead if my ds hadn't had other severe cognitive problems. BTW, the homebased program, BrainSkills, is no longer available unless you can find a program unused by the original buyer. There may be one available on the boards.

Thank you so much for all the information ladies, I have a lot to look into now for my son. I will definately have to research a little deeper to find out what will help him the most. Some of the programs are pretty pricey, so I'll look before I leap.

Thanks again,

Di