Menu

Tell me about spelling power...

I have 2 dc, grades 7 and 9. Both are a bit behind in spelling, my fault because I get so bored teaching it (not a good excuse) :tongue_smilie:( Actually I like spelling, just not teaching it). I say "a bit" because their spelling skills are pretty erratic. For example, they can spell some advanced words but get stuck on "Wednesday." One is a natural speller, the other not.

I like that you skip words that they already know, which seems GREAT since my dc usually test at a low level, then know 80% of the words, and get annoyed.

My questions are:

If you use for older kids, do you like it?

Is it easy to add in words from other sources, such as Natural Speller?

Does it address suffixes/prefixes/roots?

What components do I need? Just a book I can get used for cheap? Do I need the CD? Activity cards?

Someone mentioned their kids teaching each other with it. Is it that easy?

I was leaning toward just Apples drills workbook and no interaction from me, but then saw this being talked about. I was interested because my dd used a few books from Megawords, which was rule based and workbook, and it didn't stick. (Still a great program, just not the right learning style for my dd.)

Thanks for any help,

Georgia

If you use for older kids, do you like it? Yes.

Is it easy to add in words from other sources, such as Natural Speller? I can add words from MCT and TOG very easily.

Does it address suffixes/prefixes/roots? Spelling rules, but not roots in terms of Latin/Greek roots.

What components do I need? Just a book I can get used for cheap? Do I need the CD? Activity cards? If you buy used, you can get the CD pretty cheaply. It gives some of the forms and has all of the activities arranged into card format. The CD is not necessary if you don't want those things. I just printed my activity cards from the CD onto colored paper.

Someone mentioned their kids teaching each other with it. Is it that easy? I haven't tried this, but it could work.

Good luck!

I have 2 dc, grades 7 and 9. Both are a bit behind in spelling, my fault because I get so bored teaching it (not a good excuse) :tongue_smilie:( Actually I like spelling, just not teaching it). I say "a bit" because their spelling skills are pretty erratic. For example, they can spell some advanced words but get stuck on "Wednesday." One is a natural speller, the other not.

I like that you skip words that they already know, which seems GREAT since my dc usually test at a low level, then know 80% of the words, and get annoyed.

My questions are:

If you use for older kids, do you like it?

No experience with older kids

Is it easy to add in words from other sources, such as Natural Speller?

It would be very easy to add in other words

Does it address suffixes/prefixes/roots?

Yes, but it doesn't really have "lessons," just a rule that goes with that list

What components do I need? Just a book I can get used for cheap? Do I need the CD? Activity cards?

You just need the book. The activity cards are silly, and they would be even sillier with older kids. IMHO, of course.

Someone mentioned their kids teaching each other with it. Is it that easy?

It is super easy, and the kids could quiz each other.

I was leaning toward just Apples drills workbook and no interaction from me, but then saw this being talked about. I was interested because my dd used a few books from Megawords, which was rule based and workbook, and it didn't stick. (Still a great program, just not the right learning style for my dd.)

Thanks for any help,

Georgia

I really like SP, but my kids are natural spellers. I like that it is over and done with in under 10 minutes. Good luck!