Menu

Gardeners, please help me kill squash bugs

Because of my neglect in the garden these past weeks, I did not catch this problem until now, and now the infestation is awful. Squash bugs everywhere, stemming from my spaghetti squash patch but now I see them other places too. Please recommend something I can spray with. I also will be trying to hand kill them by laying out boards at night for them to crawl under, but at this point I don't even care if I lose my squash I just want them dead!

thanks so much,

lisa

Do you mean squash beetles (yellow and black striped), squash bugs (they look kind of like a stink bug), or squash borers (the parent is a red beetle-looking moth and the borer is a worm that drills into the vine and kills it)?

definitely creepy squash bugs (looks like stink bugs but greyish).

The best advice I ever got was to use a small blow torch . . . but I haven't tried it yet.

Here are things that I have tried with some success:

Squish them individually. Even better, pay your dc to squish them.

Insecticidal soap - spray each bug repeatedly. You can't just spay the leaves and hope it gets the bugs.

Tear out the parts of the leaf that have eggs on them or remove the whole leaf.

You can also use pesticides. Look for something that specifically says it will kill squash bugs.

Good luck. I hate squash bugs.

The best advice I ever got was to use a small blow torch . . . but I haven't tried it yet.

Oh yes, I can heartily attest to this. It does work!!!

Now, there is a slightly less plant abusive possibility. I've used it with great success on a number of bugs though never squash creepies.

Get a two gallon bucket - fill it with water, 1 cup of Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille soap (or any other for that matter - could be plain, you just need the suds), and a package of chewing tobacco. Let it stand and brew for at least 24 hrs. this makes a strong "tea". Use a sprayer and spray heavily on the plants. Repeat at 24 hr. intervals for a couple of days. You can usually get 2 or 3 applications out of one package of chewing tobacco. Basically, you are giving the bugs tobacco poisoning and the suds in the water help hold the poison on the bugs exoskeleton and on the plant. When they bite the plant, it tastes horrible and they injest tobacco as well.

Faith

I keep an old cup half filled with water out in the garden. I walk around the bed and knock any bad bugs into the cup...if I get a bunch, I bring it over to the chicken coop, dump it on the ground and lightly step on the bugs to keep them from flying away. The chix love them.

If I didn't have chickens, I'd just leave them in there to drown.

I don't see that many of the big bugs; mainly the little beetles, and I don't really get much damage from anything that eats the leaves because my squash plants are enormous and well-established.

Much more damaging for me is the borers...they lay their eggs on the stem, the borer goes into the main stem/vine of the plant and kills the whole thing. Cursed creatures.