Menu

Canadians! History Highlights for a Kindergartener?

Xuzi

So I have a few blank weeks still for my Kindergartener's History and Geography lessons (don't worry, it's just once a week super-basic stuff, like The Mayflower, George Washington, the names/locations of the continents, etc.) and I thought, since we're a bi-national family (DH is Canadian), that I'd throw in some Canadian history as well. So I'm wondering what are some of the very *basic* parts of Canadian history that most small children learn in K?

I know I could also ask my husband, but it's been a while since he's been in school (or Canada, for that matter :tongue_smilie:).

Honestly, in K I think most kids would be learning about their local community. History comes later as far as I know.

The best resources I can think of aimed at an audience that's a bit older. I thnk I might stick a bit more to geography and culture. Crayola has some nice colouring sheets. Enchanted learning has some good things too.

I might add in some native legends and introduce them to classics like Pierre Berton's Secret Land of OG (his history writing will be invaluable when the kids are in high school), Alligator Pie and Garbage delight by Dennis Lee, Mordecai Richler's Jacob Two-Two and Robert Munsch. Maybe some stories about historical figures like Laura Secord, Sam Steele (what a name!) of the North West Mounted Police, something sufficiently spooky about the Franklin Expedition. Stuff to whet their appetite for when they're a little older.