Menu

Positive Action for Christ Bible materials...has anyone used these?...

Tami

I just placed my order for the Wise Up! study. I think the format and topics will be perfect for a family study. The samples look great - meaty and easy to use. Middle school is a perfect time to do an in-depth study of Proverbs and wisdom for life. From the samples, this study looks like just the ticket for us.

OTOH, I haven't heard of HSers using this curriculum much, but I know it is popular in Christian schools locally.

Hopefully, it will be homeschool friendly?

I haven't used these or seen them before, but the samples do look really good. I am going to give BSF another try with dd next year, but if it doesn't work out, I'm going to look into these. I'll be anxious to hear your review, Tami. :)

Hope someone else is familiar and can chime in!

:)

Melissa

Hi Tami,

My 5th grader is currently using Building Life Castles which is their 4th grade book. I also have the 5th grade book, Possessing the Land, that I plan on having him use alongside TOG year 1 this fall. I had forgotten I had these as they were books I purchased YEARS ago to use with my older two boys...but both boys had to go in public school in 4th and 5th grades so they got packed away and not used. I found them several months ago and decided to have my youngest son use them. All I can say is...so far so good! He does his work assigned, looks up the verses and answers the questions properly. It has given him some independence in this subject which he enjoys. At first he was overwhelmed by having to look up so many verses each day, but he no longer complains and I am finding it to be a good fit. I don't have any of the teacher's guides so I really don't know what they would add to the program. The books we have are an older version with a different cover...but in downloading the newer version sample I see it hasn't really changed a whole lot; more colorful, etc., but the main text seems to be very similar if not exact. Perhaps I will get the 5th grade teacher guide to use for next year and give it a try.

Even though my son is using this a year below grade level it has been a great fit. I love that he has to use an actual BIBLE to complete his assignments as so many other bible curricula really can be done without one. For example my son did a Discover 4 Yourself bible study (which he loved) and even with that all the scripture he needed was already printed for him in the back of the book. He never even opened his bible. The same with BJU's HomeSat bible. Not that he didn't learn a lot with both programs, but using the actual bible was unfamiliar to him...finding books, verses, etc. Not so with Positive Action for Christ. They use the NIV, which he prefers, and he opens and reads it daily as part of the curriculum; he could not complete his assignments without doing so. I like that...and no complaints on his part. ;)