Menu

Ideas for organizing "free choice" activities

bnrmom

Since I'm hs'ing two kids, I'm assuming there will be times when I need one to be working independently while I am working with the other. Some book work can be done without me, but I've been compiling a list of websites/educational games/fun workbooks that a child can choose to work on while I am occupied.

However, I know the fatal downfall will be if I have to stop, get on my computer, look up my favorites, and then go over their choices with them.

Does anyone have a good system for keeping this organized? I have in mind something that works in conjunction with our weekly schedule. For instance, in my dream world, I have a weekly schedule printed out with the general work we're going to get done, and for those blocks of time when a kid gets to choose a computer activity, there is a list of websites organized by subject that they can choose from.

Maybe I should have a document on the home page of their computer for each week with links that they can choose from?

What about "fun" workbook activities? Do you arrange these by curriculum (LA, math) and just let them at it whenever? Do you tear out certain sections to coincide with what you are doing and have them available in a binder or something?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! (And if you happen to have a list of links already organzied by subject, I'd love to see it!)

My world is still pretty simple in this regard, as I am just dealing with DS4.5 & a toddler. DS4.5 has his own login on the laptop, and I have saved a handful of sites to a favorites so he can click them. Occasionally I delete or add something. As for worksheets, I have a box like a magazine holder by the boys' little table. It has 2 sides, and I rotate coloring books on one side and drawing paper, construction paper, and worksheets on the other side. There is also a small basket in the kitchen with lacing cards, alphabet flash cards, & pattern blocks. This probably doesn't help you much, but at least it's a bump. ;)

I do something very much like this with my two, who are 9 and 6. I have a plastic bin with things like dot-to-dots, simple crosswords or word searches, complete the picture activities and the like that they can pick from when I am working with the other. We also have several iPad learning games they can choose from (I have them sorted into files on the iPad). Sometimes I set the older up with a particular activity (Mark Kistler's online art lessons, for example); the younger will start this this year as well as he now has the literacy skills and attention span to handle this. I've also got some workbooks that I think each can handle independent (or largely independent) of me. I also keep a stash of educational videos PVR'ed (Beakman's World, Cyberchase, Canadian Geographic Kids, Nova, Mythbusters, etc.) as well as a constant rotation of items from the library (Bill Nye, etc.) --sometimes having one kid go watch a video for half an hour gives me the time I desperately need with the other. Other times the other wants to 'listen in' on what we are doing and will draw quietly, or look at a book, in the same room. I also have some board games that can be played quietly and independently (Animal Logic is one); or they do an educational jigsaw puzzle (like a world map one).

I find the trick is being semi-organized: having lots of resources at hand, but allowing them choice within that. Some days I give more direction than others ("you haven't done multiplication lately; find a multiplication game on iPad and do that please"); other days it's just "go find something educational to do while I work with your brother".

I do something very much like this with my two, who are 9 and 6. I have a plastic bin with things like dot-to-dots, simple crosswords or word searches, complete the picture activities and the like that they can pick from when I am working with the other. We also have several iPad learning games they can choose from (I have them sorted into files on the iPad). Sometimes I set the older up with a particular activity (Mark Kistler's online art lessons, for example); the younger will start this this year as well as he now has the literacy skills and attention span to handle this. I've also got some workbooks that I think each can handle independent (or largely independent) of me. I also keep a stash of educational videos PVR'ed (Beakman's World, Cyberchase, Canadian Geographic Kids, Nova, Mythbusters, etc.) as well as a constant rotation of items from the library (Bill Nye, etc.) --sometimes having one kid go watch a video for half an hour gives me the time I desperately need with the other. Other times the other wants to 'listen in' on what we are doing and will draw quietly, or look at a book, in the same room. I also have some board games that can be played quietly and independently (Animal Logic is one); or they do an educational jigsaw puzzle (like a world map one).

I find the trick is being semi-organized: having lots of resources at hand, but allowing them choice within that. Some days I give more direction than others ("you haven't done multiplication lately; find a multiplication game on iPad and do that please"); other days it's just "go find something educational to do while I work with your brother".

We have something similar--a big box of magazines (Highlights, Ranger Rick, Cricket, etc.), and a pile of word search, soduku, brain puzzle books. Each boy is allowed to wander over to this box while he is waiting for time with me. This box and the big comfy chair next to it are within sight of the kitchen table (where we do most of our school), so that I know the boy has wandered to the box, and not upstairs to work on his latest Lego masterpiece. ;)

Create a picture book of optional activities- (In fact , let your child take the photos)- Laminate it and keep it close by... When the time comes for "self-occupied" time, have them flip through the booklet and choose an activity.

It could contain pictures of legos, trios, "photography"-(my son gets my camara and explores), workbooks, art stuff, play dough, shape designs, puzzles, cardboard creations, letter writing, "music making", etc.