Menu

Ft. Polk, LA and Louisiana HS laws???

Anyone have any experience with the Fort Polk area (cost of living, schools, housing costs, availability of outside activities like sports for the kids)? And, can someone give me a simple overview of the HS laws for LA? I am not sure I completely understand all of the stuff I've read online...

Dh is currently deployed and they just informed them that they are indeed shortening their dwell time (time at home between deployments) AGAIN (last one was only 11 months with almost 2 months away for training...:glare:). SO.... since he is already at 18+, he could just keep his rank and get out, but he is up for the next rank and if he takes it, we would have to add on another 2 years (which means another deployment if we stay here... not happening...). However, there are two slots possibly opening up which are non-deployable... one is Ft. Rucker, AL (been there already and familiar with the area) and the other is at Polk..

It looks like there is at least a 12 month wait for on-post housing, plus we just prefer to live off-post, so I am really curious about the area. Schools are important to us since we *may* filter our older ones into the high-school at the appropriate time - want to keep the option open if the schools are decent...

I'd appreciate any info or advice y'all can give!