Menu

Singapore Math Tests?

cherylterese

I ordered the tests for my dd in the 1A/B level but we haven't ended up using them.

(As background Singapore books are divided into Units; Units contain individual chapters in them)

The chapter tests seem like too much test for not much material and the cumulative tests are very brief. But my big issue with the tests at this 1 A/B level is that they introduce "new" types of problems. For instance, in the unit 1-4 test there is this previously un-introduced number bond looking thing with both numbers and objects in it. Completely confused my dd - and she really gets number bonds.

But for the 3 A/B level the tests are much more appropriate and they serve a purpose. Again, I don't find too much value in the unit tests but we have used them for additional drill on things like two step word problems. Two things make the tests it required for us:

1. Cumulative review - We like that Singapore math moves quickly but a little review never hurts. And the amount of review in these tests is just about perfect.

2. Introduction to multiply choice tests - Although all the Singapore test books have two cumulative tests per unit (one multiple choice, one regular quiz) once we hit 3rd grade I felt it was time to practice multiple choice tests. So we do both the multiple choice and regular quiz for each unit.

Overall, it's a great program. Good luck with it!

rm

I ordered the tests for my dd in the 1A/B level but we haven't ended up using them.

(As background Singapore books are divided into Units; Units contain individual chapters in them)

The chapter tests seem like too much test for not much material and the cumulative tests are very brief. But my big issue with the tests at this 1 A/B level is that they introduce "new" types of problems. For instance, in the unit 1-4 test there is this previously un-introduced number bond looking thing with both numbers and objects in it. Completely confused my dd - and she really gets number bonds.

But for the 3 A/B level the tests are much more appropriate and they serve a purpose. Again, I don't find too much value in the unit tests but we have used them for additional drill on things like two step word problems. Two things make the tests it required for us:

1. Cumulative review - We like that Singapore math moves quickly but a little review never hurts. And the amount of review in these tests is just about perfect.

2. Introduction to multiply choice tests - Although all the Singapore test books have two cumulative tests per unit (one multiple choice, one regular quiz) once we hit 3rd grade I felt it was time to practice multiple choice tests. So we do both the multiple choice and regular quiz for each unit.

Overall, it's a great program. Good luck with it!

rm

Thanks. Did you use the Home Instructor's Guide for level 1? If so, did you find it necessary/useful?

Yes, I used the Home Instructor's Guide and I'd recommend them.

Background:

From my perspective the strength of the Singapore program is two fold. First, the conceptual foundation of how numbers work and the thinking behind the math operation is both fun to learn and hugely beneficial.

Secondly, if your dc has a talent for math then it's easy to accelerate - simply have them do the problems in the text book and don't dive into the workbook. If they have a hard time with a concept you can add more practice, more concept discussion, more work with manipulates.

----

That said, the Instructor's Guide includes easy to implement conceptual exercises that are required to teach the way the program is supposed to be taught. (at least for me) If my dc gets it without all the conceptual stuff then I breeze through it - nice to know that you have more if you need it.

One thing I didn't get was any of the manipulatives with Singapore - We think unifix cubes are fantastic and even work great as toys!