Menu

Struggling with what to use for History

My boys are young, 6 and 5, but I want to do a chronological type history with them, one that doesnt jump around too much, such as SOTW. The only thing I am worried about is not having enough American History, or Geography. Does SOTW incorporate Much AH? Is there another history program for elementary that you would recommend? Thanks :)

Elemental History just came out with a US history curriculum. You could use that before jumping into SOTW and they'll have an extra year to be ready for the material. SOTW can be above the comprehension level of some kids, and they might not be ready to deal with topics like WWII at 8 and 9.

Elemental History just came out with a US history curriculum. You could use that before jumping into SOTW and they'll have an extra year to be ready for the material. SOTW can be above the comprehension level of some kids, and they might not be ready to deal with topics like WWII at 8 and 9.

We are going with this for the coming year with my 6YO and 4YO tag-along. Then we are going to do something on cultures and continents next year. SOTW will wait until they are 8 and 6 (with another 4YO tag along by then). By the time that 4YO is 6 then he can do Elemental History while the older two do Vol. 3 which should kind of mesh, right?

And of course it will change 100 times... :D

I just got elemental history. Looks great, and I love love the way she lays it all out for you so there is basically no thinking involved!:tongue_smilie: I was thinking that the SOTW was going to be a bit over their heads, so I like the idea of waiting a couple of years. There is a great study from Confessions of a Homeschooler that I may do next year with the boys, called Expedition Earth, and then jump into SOTW when the boys are 8 and 6 also. SOUNDS GREAT! Finally have it figured out :)

Melissa - That is exactly the study we are going to do next year (with a little beefing up thanks to another mom here on WTM). I also ordered some fun things to go with our state study this year. I am excited about both years and happy to wait on SOTW.