Menu

Can you enroll in Kolbe and NOT take religion/theology?

I am trying to figure out the whole deal with being an "enrolled family" with Kolbe Academy. I know you can't get a *diploma* from them if you don't take the required religion classes, but can you still register/enroll and have the other benefits of being a registered family (such as the transcript and course outlines) without ever intending to take the diploma/do religion?

I'd suggest asking this in the Kolbe forum on their website, or dropping them an email.

My older three are enrolled in Kolbe. My highschooler (pursuing the magna diploma) takes theology, but we don't use the Kolbe course plans for those courses.

I believe you can enroll just for the purpose of receiving course plans, but you'd have to talk to them about whether or not you'd have transcript services without the theology component. I submit quarterly grades for my highschooler, and those are the courses that are put on her transcript.

I believe Theology is a required course to receive a Kolbe diploma, but you don't have to use their curriculum for it, meaning you can base the course on your own faith. I would assume Comparative Religions, perhaps even Philosophy, would be acceptable, but you'd have to check with them.

From what I've read on Kolbe's website, they will work with you and pretty much let you customize anything and you can still get the transcript and diploma. You just can't graduate with a Summa diploma if you adapt. Their advisors should be able to work with you to come up with a substitution that will work for your family. As for posting on their forum, good luck getting an account approved so you can post. I put in a request for a forum ID a couple of weeks ago and still haven't gotten approved. I think you can call and talk to an advisor, though, who can answer your questions.