Menu

Veritas Online History - combine grades, or keep separate??

diaperjoys

What would be the best way to do Veritas online history with my kiddos? I know that if I was doing all the teaching I'd need to combine them all - or lose my sanity! But, if it is happening online....would I start each child in Egypt when they reached 2nd grade??

This year my kiddos are 2nd grade, 1st grade, Kindergarten, and Preschool. We need to decide if we should let our 2nd grader begin Veritas Online. We've thought about delaying another year, but don't want him to fall behind...

Any input?

• 11 months later...

We are in the same quandary. In another year, my kids will be going into 4th, 2nd, and K. My oldest has done OTAE and is currently doing NTGR. In 4th, he'll do MARR, but what about my 2nd grader? Veritas recommends we combine them in MARR, but I think we'll put him in OTAE so that he gets a nice chronological sequence (plus he wants Egypt first).

We also add in SOTW narration and some of the recommended historical lit, so this way I'll already have the books on hand. Plans can always change, though...

With the others so young, I would plan keep them separate.

For just becoming aware of the subject matter, I think the younger students could benefit but I wouldn't expect them to retain much. I suppose you could just let them watch the classes this year and see how it goes. My 1st grader watches the lessons and participates with his sis. Sometimes he knows an answer she doesn't. My oldest helps my 2nd grader read the online questions and sometimes helps her answer them. As we are progressing through the course it is getting a little more challenging.

The stories of Cain and Abel, Hagar and Ishmael, Issac's Sacrifice are referenced. Sacrifices to false gods, murder, siblings marrying (early Egyptian tradition) are all discussed so that might be an issue with your younger students as well.