Menu

History Help

nov05mama

How would you choose to cover History if you went without a set curriculum??

First off, would you start with American History first? Or World History??

I am really at a loss when it has come to finding the perfect History curriculum for us to use (secular). I have considered doing Unit Studies for our History and just diving in with lots of books and projects. I worry, however, that leaving myself open to basically creating the curriculum myself, I will end up pushing it aside!!

Has anyone done History as a bunch of Unit Studies?? Am I insane for thinking of trying it this way?? Or is that basically what you do with the curriculums out there (Story of the World, etc)??? TIA!!

Your son will be in 1st grade, right?

You could do lapbooks from Curriclick, get great picture filled books, and develope a unit study for ancients that covers Egypt, Rome, Greece, and the cradle of civilization (Mesopotamia).

You could use History Odyssey Level 1 Ancients.

You could use SOTW with the activity guide.

These are three great ideas for that age.

If you don't want to cover world history, you could do American History units with lapbooks. Topics would include the Columbus, the Mayflower, the Pilgrims, Indians, 13 Colonies, American Revolution, the Flag, George Washington, Declaration of Independence .... and so on and so forth. General coverage of names and exposure.