Menu

WTMers in Hawaii - I need some advice.

My younger brother is planning a trip to the Big Island (do I have that right?) this July. He and his family have been to Oahu and Maui but have not yet seen the volcano, so that is the *focus* of this trip.

Well, I saw (in another thread) some ladies mention that the *vog* was unusually bad. And then I remembered that he had mentioned being concerned about the volcanic activity this spring.

Sooo, would any of you recommend that he cancel his trip?? Or am I being concerned for nothing?

I would definitely suggest refundable tickets. They have had to close down the National Park for Sulfur levels several times. The vog is a weird abnormal wind pattern that doesn't come around that frequently, but the Sulfur levels really would ruin his trip.

I'm sure there is a website that tracks the air quality at the volcano. I'll look.

Jo

Edit: My post isn't clear. Vog is not a concern when it comes to trip planning. It is the air quality at the actual Nat'l Park that your brother would want to monitor because they will close the whole kit and kaboodle down if the Sulfur levels are too high and wide spread.