Menu

Cubital Tunnel Syndrome - anyone have it?

I have recently been diagnosed with this and am having difficulty finding a brace/splint I can wear at night. PT wants me to make my own. :glare: There are some very rigid ones available, but apparently they don't think I am need of that level of support just yet. She told me to buy a knee pad or an old shoulder pad and make it work.

The shoulder pad was not rigid enough. I didn't find a knee pad yet.

Anyone have this? How have you dealt with it?

I have this. I did try to use an elbow pad (sold for sports) at their suggest. I don't remember how long I tried it honestly or why I quit. I don't remember it being helpful though....maybe it still bent too much or maybe it was uncomfortable for sleeping...I don't remember. This would help more I think if the problem is pressure while awake--it would be padding say at a table.

I also did Aleve and ice/heat at the doctor's suggestion.

Anyway, I figured out how to change the way I was sleeping (my sleep position with the elbow bent was my problem) using pillows to keep the problem arm unbent as much as possible while I sleep. I don't think it was 100% successful as I still have trouble occasionally but it does help me.

Is it mostly numb/tingly through the fingers or do you have pain as well? Have you lost muscle strength? :grouphug:

Edited by sbgrace

Something like this would probably work.

Do you know what caused it?

I have it, and I'm sure it's from resting my left elbow on the table while sitting at the computer. I haven't tried a brace or anything, but instead am just trying to avoid that position and keep from bending my arm.

I have this. I did try to use an elbow pad (sold for sports) at their suggest. I don't remember how long I tried it honestly or why I quit. I don't remember it being helpful though....maybe it still bent too much or maybe it was uncomfortable for sleeping...I don't remember. This would help more I think if the problem is pressure while awake--it would be padding say at a table.

I also did Aleve and ice/heat at the doctor's suggestion.

Anyway, I figured out how to change the way I was sleeping (my sleep position with the elbow bent was my problem) using pillows to keep the problem arm unbent as much as possible while I sleep. I don't think it was 100% successful as I still have trouble occasionally but it does help me.

Is it mostly numb/tingly through the fingers or do you have pain as well? Have you lost muscle strength? :grouphug:

I am on an anti inflammatory for this. I don't have pain, just the tingling. I have not lost muscle strength at all, so they are telling me we should be able to reverse this.

Something like this would probably work.

I have a similar one and they tell me it's not rigid enough. I found one that seemed similar to what the hand Dr. talked about, but said was no longer available. It was only 20.00 so I ordered it. Sounds like it will be hot..thankfully the A/C is working for now.

Do you know what caused it?

I have it, and I'm sure it's from resting my left elbow on the table while sitting at the computer. I haven't tried a brace or anything, but instead am just trying to avoid that position and keep from bending my arm.

I too rest my elbow on the computer desk and am thinking that is what caused it. However, the experts are all saying that you need to keep you elbow fairly straight pretty much all the time to reverse it. They keep saying "rest" it. How do you rest your elbow? I can hardly find a comfortable spot for my arm. It's my left elbow that is the problem and by last night my right shoulder and arm were aching and I think it was from switching more work to them. I am right handed, but I find myself in weird positions while trying to avoid the left elbow stress.