Menu

suggestions for 2nd round of ancients

jabuford

I was thinking of Mystery of History but am concerned it will be something I have to read to my 2 (ages 10 and 12). I want them to start learning to read and learn without alot of my help. I want them to come ask questions and we can discuss, but not have to pour it into their heads. My children don't learn with me talking alot. I would like hands on if possible.

MOH would be easily done independently with a 10 and 12yo. Each lesson is only a page or 2 (3 at most) and easily read by those ages. You might have to spend some time in the beginning showing them how to set up the memory cards and might need to help w/ some mapping exercises, but other than that...could easily be done ind. by them. Of course, there will be some act. that you might want to participate in and discussions that could take place. We liked MOH (not finished quite yet!). My dd11 would sometimes read each lesson to her younger brothers if I was unavailable or while I was working w/ the little ones.

This was the point where we started TOG -- getting ready for our second round through the Ancients. Your dc are the perfect age. They can read many or most of the books, and you can still do an occasional read-aloud if you want. There is lots of discussion, hands on projects, and mapwork.

We will start our 2nd round of the ancients this fall.

I am planning on using The Encylopedia of the Ancient World (Usborne) as a spine. It focuses on Ancient Greece, Ancient Egypt, and Ancient Rome. I will also supplement with library books and re-read parts of SOTW I. (It seems like forever ago that I started SOTW!!)

At first I was kind of dreading going through the ancients again, but after looking through the encylopedia, I am all excited about it.