Menu

saxon phonics question

Aoife

ok I am second guessing myself again imagine that eh :tongue_smilie:

I've tried every phonics program under the sun trying ti find one that DS, me and DH all like LOL DS and I both loved dancing bears but DH didn't so we tried saxon phonics and after a few lessons we are sold! All 3 of us love it! Now though after reading blogs the last few days (yeah I know) I am second guessing going to 1 and skipping K. DS is on the young side but he is super advanced. He can blend and read a good bit already and knows a good bit of his digraphs too. I am just afraid that with picking up with 1 we are going to miss out on some all important rule or something LOL help steer me straight!

I know nothing about Saxon Phonics, but are you still using AAS as in your sig? If so, if you think he's ready for Saxon Phonic 1, I'd just do that and expect AAS to fill in any holes, as it covers all of the phonograms.

My oldest didn't even do a phonics program when learning to read. AAS is doubling as phonics for him, and it has improved his reading (he's a great reader, but the multisyllable 4th grade words can get you if you don't have phonics, and that's what we were running into earlier in the year).

I just looked at the scope and sequence for Saxon Phonics, and it looks like everything that is covered in K is also covered in grade 1. That's pretty common in graded phonics programs like that - everything ends up being reviewed each year. Sounds like he's probably ready for 1. Go for it. If it ends up being too much, get K and do that, and you'll have 1 ready for when he finishes K.

We started Saxon Phonics 1 this year (Feb. but hey, that's when he was ready). Anyway, his ability was not super advanced. He knew the letter sounds, he could write all the letters, but he could not spell or read. And you know what? He's doing really, really great with it! He has no natural ability as far as reading/writing go (math is more his thing) but it has a good mix of tasks he can learn well and things that challenge him a bit more. He prefers to do 'letters' as he calls them over his math work (even though he's a year farther in math). It's a pretty concise kit. Everything is included that you need. I especially like the fact that spelling is incorporated w/ it. I don't need an extra spelling lesson plan.

It follows the same spiral approach as math: meeting, review previous lesson, new lesson, worksheets w/ both included. This repetition is good for us and is working well. I fully intend on sticking w/ it and doing level 2 as well.

I do add in ETC and extra worksheets from various other sources for more practice when he seems to struggle (right now it's 'y'-it's a bit confusing how many sounds it has).

J

I think you should be fine. We are doing Saxon K this year. We only have 2 weeks of lessons left and it is just now introducing digraphs. I know level 1 reviews quite a bit of K in the beginning of Saxon1 so I wouldn't worry.

We love Saxon Phonics. My DS started off this year not knowing all of his letter and sounds and now he is reading. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have.