Menu

What is the traditional math sequence from 7th-12th grade?

HappyGrace

And what would be considered more advanced? (For instance, is Algebra in 8th advanced or average?) This is generally speaking, in the United States.

I'm sorry-I did ask this over a year ago, and even printed it out, but now I can't find the post OR the printout!

Thank you!

I'm always intrigued by these sequences, because my high school did things different! I never took a "pre-calc" class, and they lumped trig with Alg 2. So I took algebra in 9th, geometry in 10th, algebra2/trig in 11th, and calculus in 12th. If my mom had remembered that they had a program to advance you in 6th grade to 7th grade math (my brother and sister did this, but I was several years later and could have done it, but the program wasn't really advertised), I could have done algebra in 8th by being taken over to the high school for math class (my mom would have had to drive me). Then I could have done the sequence quicker and done calculus in 11th and calc3/diff.eq. at the local college in 12th. Though as it was, I was the only freshman in my calc3/diff.eq. classes when I went to college. :tongue_smilie:

So is it uncommon to have algebra2/trig combined these days? We had a book that said that on it, so it was officially combined somewhere. :lol: I do remember seeing some kids with pre-calc books. I think the typical sequence was to do pre-calc in 12th for the average student. The advanced students skipped pre-calc and did algebra2/trig instead. The really advanced students who had gotten into that program mentioned above just did the advanced track a year early.