Menu

If I am using a combo of MOH and SOTW I

Angel

would VP Bible cards be overkill or redundant for my rising 5th grader? I haven't quite settled my mind on a Bible curriculum (if I'll even use one) and I like the looks of the VP cards. I would only buy the cards and the cd. However, MOH has plenty of Bible in it and I'm not sure if that is where we will get an overlap.

Any thoughts? I'm late in getting my curriculum bought this year and this is one area I'm still trying to figure out. Thanks!

I do not think that it is overkill.

I think the selections and the memory work would be a great added benefit. I would not, however, require summaries or narrations for each selection read. Perhaps use only the MOH lessons for narration assignments, or outlines.

Remember to read lots. I have found over the years that this is the best that you can do for history. :)

You can also use the VP cards as a sort of timeline memory game if you find a way to cover up the dates. Let the dc put them in order from memory.

I'm going to be using MOH & SOTW as part of our history this fall and while there is plenty of Biblical & Christian history in the mix, I feel that in my particular household we need something more for Bible. During the schoolyear my boys do Awanas & will be starting CC Foundations, so I don't want to add any more Bible memory during that time. I am thinking of doing something deeper for Bible study during the schoolyear, though. For this summer I want them to start learning some of the catechism, and I'd like to keep that up and add the creeds and confessions as time goes on. I never learned those as a kid, and seeing some of what is in an old BJU catechism book makes me think if I'd had that, I might not have so many unanswered questions now. I think it is Daisy here who has a link to daily bits of confessions, etc. in her blog.

I'm going to be using MOH & SOTW as part of our history this fall and while there is plenty of Biblical & Christian history in the mix, I feel that in my particular household we need something more for Bible. During the schoolyear my boys do Awanas & will be starting CC Foundations, so I don't want to add any more Bible memory during that time. I am thinking of doing something deeper for Bible study during the schoolyear, though. For this summer I want them to start learning some of the catechism, and I'd like to keep that up and add the creeds and confessions as time goes on. I never learned those as a kid, and seeing some of what is in an old BJU catechism book makes me think if I'd had that, I might not have so many unanswered questions now. I think it is Daisy here who has a link to daily bits of confessions, etc. in her blog.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "deeper," or what the original poster is looking for in a Bible curriculum, but Biblioplan, which schedules both Mystery of History and Story of the World as spines, also schedules the Victor Journey through the Bible for grades 4-8 in their Year One, which is the time period the the OP appears to be doing. Whether or not you're interested in paying for Biblioplan to coordinate a schedule for you and help you along with age-appropriate readers for the period, that Victor Journey book might still be helpful. (The link I gave is to its page on Amazon, which has ten reviews, several from homeschoolers.)

And Yay! for another mother who plans to catechize! (Or is at least considering it.)

Thanks for all the ideas. I had forgotten about The Victor Journey Through the Bible book. I have used it before.

I am not, at this point, looking to go for a scheduled out program. We have used MFW in the past and one disastrous year with SL. This year we kind of winged it and I felt I had more freedom. I was always worried about being behind or skipping things (even though I did both) with the planned programs, even though I loved MFW.

I really liked the looks of the VP cards, I just didn't want to overlap too much. I know that someone posted about keeping them in a binder and I thought that was a great idea, plus my dd would enjoy the cd. I'm one of those strictly KJV gals and almost every Bible program that is fun and fits the style of my dd is something else. I thought VP just might work.

I appreciate you all helping me out!

Angel, I only use the KJV as well for use in our own home and for the bulk of Bible teaching. Although, depending on the version, I don't mind encountering bits of other versions in our studies if it's not the bulk of our Bible reading/studies.

Morosophe, by "deeper", I meant deeper than just reading the Bible stories chronologically woven into history. It just feels like more history, albeit the most important part IMO. I think my family needs to really study the Bible, do some doctrinal learning, look at questions & implications, and yes, I have catechism materials on the way from VP. We'll also be using Memoria Press' Christian Studies I, Apologia's What We Believe books and some other "answers"-type books for, well, answers. Not all at once, of course. It should be enough to last us year-round for 18-24 months.