Menu

Newbie here: RightStart or Prof B?

talltexan

Hello! This will be my first year HSing my two boys, 5 and 3.5. I am trying to decide on which math to use. I really like what I've seen of both RightStart and Professor B. From the samples I've seen, they look similar in approach. Is that true? Do they both provide enough "meat" for a stand-alone math program? I am gathering that I will need to supplement activities on time and money--what else?

Thanks in advance for your help. I love learning from your experiences!

I haven't used Prof. B but we have used RS for 4 years now. I think it is a stand alone product, but you might want to add in word problems. We use Challenging Word Problems from Singapore, but they have gone out of print. I had heard they were coming out with a new word problem series...not sure if they have, though. We did not need to supplement for time or money. I did add Math Mammoth to supplement in this year because I was not playing the games as much as I should have, but I think that was my fault, not Rightstart.

I've used both (RS A&B and about 2 months of Prof B level 1, FWIW). There are some similarities. Both use a base-10 system, Prof B uses the fingers and RS uses an abacus and discourages the use of fingers. It basically boils down to how your kids learn best. If they need something to touch and move around, RS is better than the computer-based Prof B. I'm sure you can supplement with manipulatives, but at least the computer-based version is meant to be used entirely online, with the exception of the workbook. I didn't get terribly far in the Prof B stuff, and so barely used the workbook (it's provided free online for you to print if you have the online subscription), so they might use more worksheets than the early levels of RS, which use hardly any. I found RS adequately covered time and money, as well as measurement and geometry. Prof B is designed as an arithmetic curriculum, and requires supplementing on at least some of the subjects. (I forget which exactly, but I think it's measurement and geometry.) I think they are both certainly meaty enough to be stand-alone programs at least as far as arithmetic is concerned with Prof B.