Menu

Help! Rethinking graduation reception menu

Ds's graduation is next weekend.

As of right now we are expecting 36 people to come to the graduation ceremony.

After the ceremony we are having a reception at our house.

I am sure most will have eaten since the graduation doesn't start until 6pm and will probably last 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. So that will put us back at our house around 8pm.

I am not sure if all will come back here or not. We have family driving 3hrs and will have to go back home that night.

My menu has only changed slightly, but I think I need more variety.

Ham and Turkey slices...would you buy the meat(like sandwich meat) from Sam's and make the platter yourself?

Rolls

Veggie platter...I will make this myself..broccoli, carrots, celery..anything else?

Fruit platter..make myself...I am thinking apples, oranges, honeydew and cantaloupe..maybe a small watermelon...how do I keep the apples from turning? Also how many apples and oranges? I figured 1 honeydew, cantaloupe and watermelon(if I use it)

Chips and salsa

Chips and dip

Mixed nuts...my mom says its a must have

Cake..I don't think I am going to do ice cream..should I?

I was planning on doing a broccoli salad and potato salad, but ds(graduate) does not like them, so I want to do things he enjoys!

Oh for drinks I was just going to get coke and sprite

Ham and Turkey slices...would you buy the meat(like sandwich meat) from Sam's and make the platter yourself?

I'd make it myself, and set out mustard and mayo, maybe some cheese slices. You can do this a day or two ahead, but if you do cheese, don't put it on the tray with the meat too far ahead of time or it will get soggy.

I think the little Hawaiian rolls would be very yummy with ham and turkey...:drool5:

Veggie platter...I will make this myself..broccoli, carrots, celery..anything else?

Cherry tomatoes work well and are very easy. Cucumbers are easy, too... easier than celery. I like sugar snap peas on a veggie platter and I also like sweet red bell pepper, but peppers are a little on the pricey side. I've also enjoyed raw zucchini on a veggie platter. All these can be done ahead except maybe cucumber or zucchini. I'd cut them up a day ahead and put them in separate baggies.

Fruit platter..make myself...I am thinking apples, oranges, honeydew and cantaloupe..maybe a small watermelon...how do I keep the apples from turning? Also how many apples and oranges? I figured 1 honeydew, cantaloupe and watermelon(if I use it)

When I do a fruit platter I do grapes, cantaloupe, strawberries, and fresh pineapple. I avoid apples and oranges because they're more difficult. Apples can be kept fresh by dipping them in a lemon juice and water solution. Pineapple is really nifty for a fruit platter. If you cut off the top you can stick that in the middle of the platter for decoration and arrange the fruit around it. If you choose red or black grapes they make a nice color contrast with the other fruits. I snip off sections of two or three grapes so they're easy to pick up. You can do a fruit platter a day ahead if you use these. If you cut a watermelon you'll have to do it the day you serve it, and probably the same with apples.

Cake..I don't think I am going to do ice cream..should I?

Definitely not! That would be a headache! If you can hire/bribe an assistant, homemade would be cute, but I'd avoid it if you're also the hostess. Too difficult to keep cold, and serving it will make a big mess.

You want to set out things that will serve themselves so you don't have to keep messing with the food.

Oh for drinks I was just going to get coke and sprite

I've found that setting out a pitcher of ice water is often appreciated by those who can't (or don't care to) drink sweet sodas.

I'm making notes for when my son graduates. A good friend's daughter is graduating this month and her mom is planning a Louisiana spread for about 50 people... I think crawfish will be involved. I know another lady who did a big party for about 100 people. We have so few relatives around I don't think our reception will be even as big as yours.

Since I have all boys, this might be the last party I throw for them that I get to control, since I won't have a wedding to plan. I love feeding people. I had a voice recital in college and my mom and I were up all night fixing platters and putting fruit on skewers and making hors d'oeuvres. I didn't sing so well the next day, but I'll tell you, folks were talking about our reception for a year!