Menu

Hi! Just found out about this forum...

Dianne-TX

I've been frequenting the WTM board for a long time, but just now found out about this writing board. I am wondering what an oral narration should sound like. We've used AO for a while now (dc are 10 and 8, ds10 in Y2 and dd8 in Y1. it has taken us 2 years to get through each year so far. ugh.) and I'm still not happy with my kiddos narration skills. We've had our seasons of inconsistency (more than I would like to admit!) because of babies being born, frequent illness, schedule being too busy to "do school", etc... They will repeat the words in the story instead of tell me about the story and their narration is still limited in details. I know inconsistency has not helped at all. How can I help them improve? Will just doing it daily help a lot? Thanks!

CM narration and SWB narration are quite different. Do you know of anyone using SWB's Complete Writer? It would give you a good idea of the differences.

No, I've never heard of it in my real-life circle of hs moms. Does anyone here use it?

LOL yes many of us use it. The book gives you all you need for 4years of copywork, narration, and dictation. It gives you a week or two of material as a guide, and then you find your own passages for the next 10 week block. Then you get more material for a guide, and then you find your own for the 2nd 10week block. ....or something close to that.

Others buy the Writing With Ease workbooks which is also at that link I gave you. IT has all the material needed for a full year of copywork, narration, and dictation. It gives you the passages, questions for passages, and sample narrations to guide you.

From what I've gathered, and you should post on the K-8 forum for clarification as well as do a search, CM narrations focuses on retelling the details of a story. WWE narration focuses on given the ESSENTIAL details, distilling it down to main character, plot, resolution for lit passages and for non-fiction passages, giving the main idea and supporting details. This leads into outlining in Logic stage and rewriting from an outline.