Menu

LHTH vs. R&S

Cortana

Our 2yo will be 3 this summer and she is begging to do "school" with her brothers. She loves to be read to and we do lots of reading with her, but she wants to do more. We've been working on colors, counting and letters. Right now she colors in her coloring book while the boys do their lessons but she is asking for more and gets mad if I hand her the coloring book and crayons.

I already have a set of R&S preschool books that I had gotten for when she's ready but I also like Little Hands to Heaven. Is it possible to do both or would that be overkill?

Any other suggestions are welcome too. :D

Go for both and follow her lead. If it seems like overkill, back off. Always leaving her wanting more.

She sounds a lot like my daughter. We started LHTH just before her 3rd bday and had a great time with it. She also loved working through a big preschool workbook from Wal-mart. She would do many pages/day. Personally I find the R&S books so boring and they haven't really appealed to my boys, either. My daughter loves any workbooks and doesn't seem to mind the leftover R&S ones as much I do. I love Kumon. There is also another brand that timberdoodle.com carries, very similar to Kumon, but I have yet to try them.

I used HOD's LHTH for our 3/4 year olds; my daughter kept wanting more, so I let her work on the R&S workbooks. She **STILL** wanted more, so I would pick up the Kumon workbooks, Brain Quest (from Costco), the beginning "Explode the Code" workbooks (Get Ready! Get Set! Go!), and anything I could find for cheap at used Homeschool Curriculum fairs/sales. Never planned on using workbooks, but she LOVES them, and when school is "done" she just gets out her workbooks and keeps going .... Now that summer/spring is finally here in the Pacific Northwest, she's opting to go outside to play and explore. So I just follow her lead - I let her do these extra's to her heart's content.

Go for both and follow her lead. If it seems like overkill, back off. Always leaving her wanting more.

She sounds a lot like my daughter. We started LHTH just before her 3rd bday and had a great time with it. She also loved working through a big preschool workbook from Wal-mart. She would do many pages/day. Personally I find the R&S books so boring and they haven't really appealed to my boys, either. My daughter loves any workbooks and doesn't seem to mind the leftover R&S ones as much I do. I love Kumon. There is also another brand that timberdoodle.com carries, very similar to Kumon, but I have yet to try them.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Have you looked at Teach Me Joy?

My 2 year old will be 3 this summer too, and I'm thinking of using their younger program this year followed by LHTH.

I haven't heard of it before but I will look into it, it looks like a nice program.

I used HOD's LHTH for our 3/4 year olds; my daughter kept wanting more, so I let her work on the R&S workbooks. She **STILL** wanted more, so I would pick up the Kumon workbooks, Brain Quest (from Costco), the beginning "Explode the Code" workbooks (Get Ready! Get Set! Go!), and anything I could find for cheap at used Homeschool Curriculum fairs/sales. Never planned on using workbooks, but she LOVES them, and when school is "done" she just gets out her workbooks and keeps going .... Now that summer/spring is finally here in the Pacific Northwest, she's opting to go outside to play and explore. So I just follow her lead - I let her do these extra's to her heart's content.

I hear ya about summer/spring, lol! I am so thankful that the kids can get outdoors more. We all ended up sick right when it really began to warm up. I get a little frustrated that just about the time that everything is drying out from the rain, it starts raining again.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and input, it is helping me make this decision. :D